AHT begins to load, ejects disc, crashes.

Reaction score
Hello-

I'm having some issues with running AHT on my Early 2008 Mac Pro so I can diagnose some USB port issues. It is running Lion 10.7.3, so I had to copy the .diagnostics folder from the original Install disc that shipped with the computer, to the hard drive using sudo cp -R. After holding "D" at startup, AHT begins to load with the little computer icon and loading bar, then it ejects the disc and displays a blue screen for only a split second that says:

"'apple_hardware_test.acm' exited with 0xffffffff
efiboot loaded from device: Acpi (PNP0A03.0)/Pci(1F12)/SATA(2.0/HD(Part3.Sig24A996E9 [area cut off because I had to record the screen on my phone]
boot file path: \com.apple.recovery.boot\boot.efi"

And then proceeds to boot into Lion Recovery.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Michael, did you try and run Apple Hardware Test from your original install discs that came with the Mac Pro without copying anything?

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

My Mac Pro 2.1 Quad boots from the original Tiger discs still. Our Mac Pros did not ship with Lion so running AHT over the 'net does not apply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.