TWC Wireless Modem

Reaction score
I need some advise and opinions. My current set-up consists of A TWC modem-hardwired-up to 15b Mbps. That goes to a Time Machine which leads to a D-Link ethernet switch. I have 0 problems, none. However, I would like to move up to the 30 Mbps connection. Once you exceed the 15 Mbps they take you into their wireless modem (I believe it is a Ubee). Does anyone have experience with these modems or knowledge of them? I just have this feeling that I am asking for trouble (which I could do without). Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
While I am not using a wireless UBEE cable modem, I did use a UBEE wired modem for a while with no problems. The only problem I had with the UBEE was the phone connection kept dropping. I doubt that the UBEE wireless cable modem is only wireless. Every one I have ever seen has a wired connection also.

My current network through TWC is:

Cable Modem 25 MBit > Time Capsule (wired and wireless connections) > HP procurve managed switch > multiple computers of MAC and Linux varieties.

Bill

OP
U
Reaction score
I am being told by TWC that any speed over 15 has to be the wireless modem. I'm just concerned that I will be opening a can of worms.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What particular can of worms are you concerned about?

OP
U
Reaction score
TWC Modem

I am reading many posts online by people that had issues with the wireless modem. Isn't hardwire usually more reliable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Sierra, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
Are you sure it is strictly a wireless modem? Every "wireless" modem that I have seen also has wired ports for a hardwired ethernet connection. I would contact TWC and find out for sure...

Bill

OP
U
Reaction score
Yes, I went through this with them. Absolutely, any service over 15 is wireless. I even went so far as to order it, but the tech arrived and actually talked me out of it for exactly the reasons I am hesitant. But, I really would like to go up to 30 and I guess I am hoping that they have improved their service.

Reaction score
I have one of these and they do in fact have 4 wired ports also. The wireless is only there as a convenience to connect to other wireless devices in other rooms. It is the usual standard these days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.