Audio failure = logic board failure symptom

Reaction score
My 2010 MBP's audio cuts in and out. When it's out the speaker icon at the top right of the desktop becomes inactive (turns from black to gray). It started happening a week ago. This is after months of it pinwheeling using Firefox. I've switched to chrome which is working better. But now the audio is messing up! Does this mean my logic board is going out? It is definitely not the headphone jack. In the preferences audio menus the out put is set to internal speakers.

Any help would be much appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I moved your post to a separate thread all by itself rather than tack it on to an old post.

How is the audio when you connect headphones? Are you getting the same symptoms?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does appear that it might be logic board related. Is your MBP covered under the extended Apple Care plan? If it's not, you may be able to obtain clear audio through one of your USB ports with an audio adapter. The problem with that is it can be a pain to have to drag something like that around with the MBP.

OP
S
Reaction score
my larger concern is whether this indicates a deeper problem w my logic bd or if it is an isolated problem. what do u think? i have apple care, will take it in.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it could be logic board related, however, since you have Apple care, let the genius bar deal with it. If they have to replace the entire logic board, it's on them not you. :) (A new logic board will cost $500 upward depending on model)

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, it could be logic board related, however, since you have Apple care, let the genius bar deal with it. If they have to replace the entire logic board, it's on them not you. :) (A new logic board will cost $500 upward depending on model)

The problem is that I live in a town without an apple store and no car!

I am having lots of trouble. My computer is pinwheeling out of control. Do you think it could have something to do with memory usage? I've attached a screenshot of the usage.

I have hours of recorded audio on my computer. Maybe if I put it on a drive, things would clear up??:[

Screen shot 2012-04-30 at 8.06.12 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can call Apple Care support on the phone and they'll send you a box to ship your MBP to an Apple service center. The problem with that is you're going to be without the machine for a considerable time.

Just be sure to backup everything on your hard drive first. Use Time Machine and an external hard drive and if possible also make a copy of the hard drive with software such as Carbon Copy Cloner.

Sorry, but without transportation and no Apple store located near you, I don't see any other way.

OP
S
Reaction score
You can call Apple Care support on the phone and they'll send you a box to ship your MBP to an Apple service center. The problem with that is you're going to be without the machine for a considerable time.

Just be sure to backup everything on your hard drive first. Use Time Machine and an external hard drive and if possible also make a copy of the hard drive with software such as Carbon Copy Cloner.

Sorry, but without transportation and no Apple store located near you, I don't see any other way.

You don't think its a memory thing, I guess, huh?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't think its a memory thing, I guess, huh?

No. I wish it was for your sake as that would be easy to resolve.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck with Apple Care. Let us know how it turns out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.