Any ideas? Macbook Pro freaks out after removing display port.

Reaction score
I have a early 2011 i5 13" Macbook Pro. I recently purchased a mini display port to HDMI cord off Amazon so I could connect my Macbook Pro to my HDTV. Everything works great up until I disconnect the cord and try and restart/shut down my computer. I have been just removing the cord not putting it to sleep or turning it off first.

When I try and restart or shut down, my Macbook Pro freaks out. It has at times gotten stuck on the original Apple logo start screen (I have a SSD and generally the machine boots up in about 10-15 seconds) or it will load OSX and I will get a variant of error messages. It will give me error messages stating settings failed to load, Safari failed to load, or Email failed to load, etc. Last night I received a never ending beach ball and my Macbook Pro started getting really hot, after a few minutes I finally just shut it down manually. The first time I noticed the error it wouldn't let me single click with my finger on the trackpad, which I had turned on in track pad settings. I had to restart again to get it to work. Last night I had to restart/shut down and power back on about 7 times before the machine worked properly and I didn't get any error messages or never ending beach balls.

I like the cord and the ability to have dual monitors with my HDTV, but my Macbook Pro freaking out after I remove the cord freaks me out. Any ideas for a solution? Or similar experience? Is there a way to "safe eject" the cord?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.