1TB Hard Drive Replacement Cost

Reaction score
My 1TB hard drive has failed and I'm having to take it for replacement. Any one got any ideas how much it will cost me at Apple? i know its £60 an hour labour, but thats all they will tell me. Any clue will be a help. I'm in the UK so no doubt I'm about to get robbed.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is it still under warranty, and what type of mac have you got

Or have you got Apple care

OP
P
Reaction score
No warranty is out and no Apple care. It's an 27" iMac about 2 years old

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's out of warranty, why don't you replace it yourself and save the labor plus parts cost? Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the procedure for changing out the hard drive in an iMac. Not easy to do, but with some inexpensive tools and patience, it can be done.

Of course if you feel you're not up to it, let Apple do it but it may cost quite a bit. Here in the US it would easily cost around $400 or more depending on the labor and size of the new drive.

C

chas_m

Here in the US it would easily cost around $400 or more depending on the labor and size of the new drive.

Not in any shop I've ever worked in! Unless you're getting really bad prices for 1TB bare drives ...

In the shops I worked in, we charged an rate for labour based on how long it actually took, so for example changing out the hard drive of an early MacBook (ten minutes' work tops), we often didn't charge for labour at all a token amount. Now if you wanted us to put a new HD in an iBook G4, oh well THAT was going to cost you four hours labour :)

I've only done one HD transplant on a 27" iMac (I don't work as a tech anymore), but based on my memory of it I would have said two hours of labour tops. The drive itself should still be under $100.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not in any shop I've ever worked in! Unless you're getting really bad prices for 1TB bare drives ...

Don't know what shops you've worked in but the Apple stores here in Texas do not work at discount labor prices chas. Also a 1 TB hard drive is charged at the Apple retail price not what you can purchase it for from OWC... add that to the labor cost and it will easily approach what I quoted the OP.

We've had members around the country pretty much tell us the same thing when having a hard drive replaced in an iMac. Remember, replacing the hard drive in an iMac is not as simple as doing it in a MBP. Another thing to keep in mind is that hard drives for the 2010 and 2011 iMacs are proprietary because of the special cable needed and thermal sensor.

Reaction score
I think suction cups and iFixit are in order..

Hard drives are coming down in price but not to what they were, but 60 pounds an hr. yikes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2009 24" iMac OS X Yosimite 10.10 8GB Memory 3.06 Ghz Intel core2 Duo
1TB Hard Drive Replacement

I was quoted £185.00 + tax for the HD and £35.00 +tax for labour. With the help of mac-forum members I replaced the drive myself. The cost of the identical drive to the one I removed was £43.60 + £8.72 Tax(£52.32). It is a no brainer do it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How are the fans operating if that was in the iMac the OP mentioned? One of the problems mentioned by OWC is the Apple firmware for the hard drive heat sensors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.