laptop a little warped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jonster

i wanted to know if anybody else has this problem. my laptop is on a flat surface, but the bottom right corner is raised a little, so it seems like it's a little warped. my sister threw a fit and kicked my laptop off the bed (took maybe a foot tumble) and i wanted to know if that could have done it. also, is there a way to fix this or can i go in and get it repaired? it's bugging the heck out of me.

Reaction score
I had a similer problem on my powerbook, except it was the bottom left for me. For the longest time I carried a nickel around with me to slid under the notebook to make it even out. My notebook did take a small tumble at the hands of someone else, however I already had the problem and that didn't seem to have any affect. A few months ago, I had to send my computer in to have a keyboard issue looked at. When it came back, the problem was solved. I didn't tell them about it, and they didn't say, "oh, along with your keyboard, we also fixed the fact that your computer doens't sit evenly on a flat surface." I don't really know what to say. I sympathise with you; it is really annoying.

OP
J

jn4jenny

Two thoughts on this:

1. If someone dropped your machine, then you probably have a bona fide bend in the top case. Most Powerbook users fix this the cheap and easy way: they lean the bent corner over a table or desk edge and gently press down with their palms until the aluminum bends back into place. That's risky, but most of us get away with it.

2. If nobody dropped your machine and this only happens to you sometimes (which is not the case with the original poster, of course), then consider that your table surface might be uneven. In that case, you can often rotate your Powerbook until you find an equilibrium point where it doesn't rattle around anymore. It's a spatial dimensions thing.

OP
J

Jonster

i took it and put it over the edge of the table like you said and it fixed the problem a little. it's better now. before a dime would fit underneath it and it would be fine, but now it's so minor, it's barely noticable. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I've heard that if you do some very processor intensive work, the case will heat up, then when you're done, it cools down then contracts and warps the case.

Mine also wobbles on the bottom right.

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

Mine was warped from day 1. after my first powerbook got replaced due to a memory problem, i finally got my current powerbook set up the way i wanted. i was told its a common problem and the only way to fix it is to send it back to apple and they will replace the case but it takes a week total, i might have it done during the summer when i dont need it. but for a quick fix turn off your powerbook and gently bend it, if you only need a few MM correction its very easy to do. since AL is very very flexible it will not hurt anything.

OP
J

Jonster

okay, i hadn't closed it since i posted this, but i just closed it and now it won't close. the magnet pulls the hook thing off, but it won't latch. great, now it won't close. so it looks like i am going to have to bring it in to the mac store anyway. shucks.

edit - also, is this covered by the warranty?

OP
D

DigitalN.

whoah, that is weird. maybe the screen is bent out of shape? take a long piece of something that guaranteed to be straight, and set it across the keyboard side of the PB, and the screen side of the monitor. are they both flat? if not, straighten it out.

OP
L

lil

Even my 12" PB has a little bit of a rock, teeeny teeny bit, maybe 1/16th" or so, as soon as your wrists rest on wrist rest, it's fine.

But my PB has taken one or four ;) tumbles sadly. Still absolutely fine otehrwise.

Vicky

OP
J

Jonster

DigitalN. said:
whoah, that is weird. maybe the screen is bent out of shape? take a long piece of something that guaranteed to be straight, and set it across the keyboard side of the PB, and the screen side of the monitor. are they both flat? if not, straighten it out.

it's not the screen, it's the spot right above the button to open the laptop. it's bent out of shape and i can't fix it and i think that maybe the latch on the inside broke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I just got my 15" Powerbook, and it's warped just like my 12" was.

I have to stick a penny under the bottom right foot.

OP
J

Jonster

that's not the point. i want to know if it's under warranty, so if i bring it into the shop will i have to pay anything for it. also, i have a dead pixel, what's up with that?

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

Jonster said:
that's not the point. i want to know if it's under warranty, so if i bring it into the shop will i have to pay anything for it. also, i have a dead pixel, what's up with that?

Yes if your computer is under warranty they will fix your warped case. But dead pixel you have to read the policy. some have policy depending on the location of the out pixel other allow a number of out pixels regardless of location. Have you tried to massage the pixel into working again could you be more specific is it really out or just stuck?

OP
L

lil

A dead pixel is not uncommon on an LCD, in fact it's almost a certainty that an LCD will have at least one somewhere, that's sadly just one of those foibles in having a LCD screen. As for the bowing being covered by Apple, give AppleCare a call or take it to your local dealer and ask genuinely that the PowerBook came like it and you need to know if it is covered by warranty as you paid so much etc.

Although in fairness this does seem related to the fall it suffered. I know that with my PBook having shot off my bed a few times that one fall on the bottom right by the battery compartment (it's the 12in model) it suffered a little dent.

Generally whether it has happened or not by an accident or user error, is whether Apple will see it as that.

Vicky

OP
J

Jonster

the dead pixel problem happened before the fall. i had it for a long time, but then it disappeared. ironically, after the small fall, it came back. i'll try "massaging" it back into working. hopefully that works. i'm also planning on taking my pb to the mac store to see how long and when they can replace the case. they'll just replace the bottom case if the bottom's the one broken/dented, right, because i have a sticker on the back of my screen that i want to keep. haha.

Reaction score
Yes if your computer is under warranty they will fix your warped case. But dead pixel you have to read the policy. some have policy depending on the location of the out pixel other allow a number of out pixels regardless of location. Have you tried to massage the pixel into working again could you be more specific is it really out or just stuck?

Apple won't cover a warped case, it's considered a "cosmetic defect."
Ask me how I know. :(

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Warped on the front right corner. I havn't tried the dine/penny thing though. It is rather annoying. I have a MBP, bout 6 months old and its been doing this from the 2nd month. No drops either. Apple wont warranty a warped case? well........how do you know then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.