Applications folder under home directory empty (in Finder)?

Reaction score
I'm setting up my first iMac. I dragged my home directory to my Finder Favorites, and sure enough through that I can access my desktop, Documents, Downloads, Photos, etc. However, what's kind of weird is that the Applications folder (listed along with everything else) is not expandable (empty?)

Now, the Applications folder, which is itself a separate favorite in my Finder, as well as directly accessed through the dock, is full of my applications.

I'm sure it is a simple answer, but can someone explain this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Sure, there are two applications folders. One that is in the root directory, this is applications installed for ALL users. One that is in your home directory, this is for applications installed for ONLY that user. Unless you installed something that was SPECIFICALLY, it should be empty.

OP
AJP24
Reaction score
Thank you! Where is that root directory located? (Just out of curiosity). Would it be harmful to move that empty folder (through the Finder) to the trash? (i.e. is it simply a shortcut, or would deleting it actually delete the root folder?)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Being at the root directory simply means that it is at the most basic level of the hard drive and not sitting inside another folder. Think of the root level as the first level of organization on the drive.

The empty applications folder in your user folder is real and not a shortcut (alias). I don't think there are problems with removing it if it's really empty. Others can chime in on that score. I don't know what would be gained by removing it though. On my machine it takes up 0 k of space until something is placed there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Thank you! Where is that root directory located? (Just out of curiosity). Would it be harmful to move that empty folder (through the Finder) to the trash? (i.e. is it simply a shortcut, or would deleting it actually delete the root folder?)

Don't delete the Applications folder that's under your home directory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.