Increasing fan speed

Reaction score
Hi there,

I had a clogged fan which made a grinding noise until recently so I bought a new fan and reapplied thermal paste to the cpu and gpu (with Artic Cooling MX-4). The grinding has obviously stopped (with the new fan), but I'm unsure whether the laptop is getting too hot and whether the fan noise is normal (I've had a grinding fan for nearly a year so normal macbook noise is not the norm for me).

When I start the laptop temperature is around 30 degrees. It steadily climbs to about 45 in idle with a fan rpm of 2000-2200. At the moment, all I have open is Chrome with 4 tabs open and an audio track playing and the fan speed is 2237 rpm and 45-6 degrees. The fan seems to like staying around 2500-3000 rpm when I am surfing the web... Which to me does not seem like a very processor heavy activity and so there is a constant low fan noise in the background.

Is this normal? I can't even remember whether the fan noise is supposed to be audible under normal activity.

Also maybe the MX-4 has a break-in time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
That sounds about right. My MacBook Pro is currently at 44°C.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok so my fan is making a low buzzing noise (not just the noise for moving air). Have I ordered a dudd new fan or is this CPU humm?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It's possible it could be a bad fan, or maybe a lose wire is running to close to the fan and causing it to rub.

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with my fan also... at least I think it's my fan.

I've recently dropped my mac, it's a late 2009 white mac book.

It still works, but the fan is making a whiney grinding noise, I recorded it for your listening pleasure, This is what my mac sounds like by Rob Tierney on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I don't live anywhere near a mac store.

Should I just try replacing the fan? I can buy one online.

I installed smcFanControl a few months back, as my mac was getting really hot, over 100 degrees celcius

Any suggestions?

Also, thermal paste? Would I need to do this also?

Cheers

OP
I
Reaction score
Argh fan is running at 2700 (with a buzz - have ordered a new fan which hopefully won't buzz) at idle with CPU temp of around 50. Do you think it's just an ineffective fan? (The buzz sound certainly doesn't sound healthy). No print queues at all and CPU activity around 4%. It goes absolutely mental when watching youtube videos (6000rpm), which I know is kind of normal but I never noticed it so much with the old fan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
make sure you dont use too much thermal paste. You should only be using a drop or so..

If you use too much it will become more of a barrier between your processor and heat sink.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.