-bash g++:command not found

Reaction score
"Newbie" question:
I'm learning some C++ at university, so I installed Xcode on my mac in order to compile and run my small programs.
There is absolutely no issue as long as I work within Xcode projects, that is to say writing and running "within Xcode".
Instead, I can't manage to compile (and run) them directly from the terminal window because, if I type "g++ file_name.cpp", I get the answer "-bash g++ command not found"; the same happens with gcc.
I thought that installing Xcode would provide me automatically with a proper compiler.

Can you help me?
PS: there are some similar threads but I couldn't find another user with exactly my same problem...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you're using a newer version of Xcode, you need to install the command line tools manually. In Xcode, go to Preferences > Downloads and install the "Command Line Tools" package.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt answer.
I'm trying right now!

edit:
it worked! thank you very much

now I just have to do some practice...

OP
B
Reaction score
Alias

Ok, now that I have a working g++, I would like to make a shortcut that compiles the .gpp file, renaming the o.out file in a given way; the problem is: I can't figure out the syntax.

what I write: g++ my_file.cpp -o my_file
what I'd like to write: --alias-- my_file.cpp

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
a quick bash script like this would work.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
in1=$1
in2=`echo $in1|tr -d '.cpp'`
g++ $in1 -o $in2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.