Macromedia!!! grrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
Hi!

Im trying to instal the trial of flash 8 from macromedia's website but it keeps saying i need administrator rights or above...which i do have because im the only one using this mac and have them!

any ideas?

many thanks

:)
River

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
rivercottage said:
Hi!

Im trying to instal the trial of flash 8 from macromedia's website but it keeps saying i need administrator rights or above...which i do have because im the only one using this mac and have them!

any ideas?

many thanks

River

nO worries guys, i got it sorted, simplest of things fixed the problems, just repairing the disk permitions, im quite new to macs....what exactly is repairing disk permitions?

many thanks

River

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
rivercottage said:
im quite new to macs....what exactly is repairing disk permitions?

Macs (OS X) run on Darwin which is really a unix OS.

Unix has a very comprehensive system of permissions based on owner, group and world users which can be assigned for any combination of reading/writing/executing and a few specials as well.

(as an example a file could be specified as rwx,r-x,r-- and be owned by user fred and belong to a group called athletes. These permissions will then mean that the owner can read, write and execute the file, anyone in group athletes can read and execute it and everyone else can only read it. A "super user" called root always has full access to every file and can change the ownership and group details of files and other users)

The "repair permissions" part of the disk utility Application simply runs through the specified filesystem and sanity checks the permissions it finds, if the permissions look wrong (i.e you have somehow made an executable type file unexecutable) it will attempt to correct them.

Note that it is not infallible but is always worth doing as a first attempt at fixing baffling problems.

Amen-Moses

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual g5 2ghz 3gb ram
thanks! that was really interesting! its quite wierd, im rather new to mac and am still getting used to no disk defragmenter and to uninstal things i just put them in the bin...sometimes things just seem a little too easy!

River Cottage

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.