A really weird pixel problem, not dead or stuck...

Reaction score
Hi guys!
This is the deal, I have a white pixel on my display.
At first I thought it was a dead/stuck pixel but then a funny thing happened,
I zoomed in (ctrl+mouse scroll up) and the pixel zoomed as well, it also moved around as I scrolled around. I tried using flickering images, etc, but nothing worked.
I have never seen anything like it, have you?

here is a video I shot with my Iphone of the screen zooming and the pixel moving as I scroll around. The Iphone is not moving!, only scrolling around.

IMG 0813 - YouTube

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Is it only affecting that specific page? It looks to me like the cached copy of the graphic element for that bar is corrupt. Use Onyx to flush your cache.

OP
E
Reaction score
nope

Is it only affecting that specific page? It looks to me like the cached copy of the graphic element for that bar is corrupt. Use Onyx to flush your cache.

Nope, it's stays on like a dead white pixel (even in movies), which is what I thought it was, but once I saw that the zoom thing moved it I realized it is something really weird!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like a defect in the LCD. Whether or not it's a dead or stuck pixel is debatable, however, I don't believe it's something that's inherent to the page you're viewing. Does it always return to the same spot on the LCD? If it does, that would pretty much indicate it's the LCD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Now that I think about it some more… when you zoom, if one pixel is dead, then zooming wouldn't make the pixel go un-dead. But the surrounding pixels may "look" dead as you zoom in and their output is "merged" with the dead one. Or something like that… I don't know how to more accurately and technically describe my line of thinking here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.