Networking two iMacs with Ethernet cable

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've networked two iMacs (mid 2011 running OSX Lion) together using an ethernet cable (its a permanent set-up so decided to hard wire instead of using wireless). Its a direct connection between the two macs with no router in between.

My intention is to be able to access files from either computer and amend and update them from either desktop (I'm running a small business - I'm on one computer, my partner on the other and need to share files and folders).

I have now set up file sharing for the relevant folders and allowed 'read & write' access for both computers. If using computer A, I open a file stored on computer B (and vice-versa), it opens normally, buts shows as read-only. When I therefore try to save any changes, I have to save it under a different file (which defeats the point of networking).

Does anyone know how I can get around this? Do I need to set up the network differently (perhaps using a router)?

Note: if I look at the network settings under system preferences (on both computers), it shows the ethernet connection to be enabled with an active IP address.

Appreciate the help

A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Your network configuration is nothing to do with the issues you're encountering.

How have you "set up file sharing for the relevant folders and allowed 'read & write' access for both computers"?

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Using the computer that contains the files I want to share, I've gone in to 'system preferences' and selected 'sharing'. I've ticked the box 'File sharing', selected the root folder that contains all of the files and folders I want to share; I've then added the user (the other computer) and selected 'Read & write'.

Doing this enables me to open the files on the other computer, but they still appear as 'read only'.

Appreciate your help

A

OP
A
Reaction score
I've just discovered something.........I have 'read and write' functionality on the root folder, but it doesn't automatically give me 'read & write' for all the subfolders and files that sit within it. This implies that every time I create a new folder or file, I have to add it to the list of shared folders in system preferences (seems ridiculous). All I want to be able to do is have a shared network that enables both computers to access and amend files and folders within a root folder.

Do you know a way around it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I know it seems weird but turn off AFP sharing and just leave SMB and try again

OP
A
Reaction score
I turned off AFP and turned on SMB (and selected the appropriate users).

This disabled the network and so I couldn't access any shared files, let alone edit and save them.

Any other thoughts? Really appreciate your time

A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Put it back as was.

Which folder are you sharing? Moreover where is it?

Can you read/write to the public folder ok?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've just discovered something.........I have 'read and write' functionality on the root folder, but it doesn't automatically give me 'read & write' for all the subfolders and files that sit within it. This implies that every time I create a new folder or file, I have to add it to the list of shared folders in system preferences (seems ridiculous). All I want to be able to do is have a shared network that enables both computers to access and amend files and folders within a root folder.

Do you know a way around it?

Can't easily test this at the moment but here's an idea:

1. Set read/write access for the folder to whatever you need it to be.
2. Right click the folder band choose Get Info. You will need to click the padlock and enter an admin password to make changes.
3. If necessary expand the sharing and permissions section by clicking the triangle. At the the bottom of that section is another triangle, Click there and choose "Apply to enclosed folders".

OP
A
Reaction score
That did it! Just had to apply to enclosed folders. Thank you both for your help, very much appreciated.

A

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad that helped. Kinda nice when something you pulled out of your backside actually works.;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.