Log History

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have been using my roommates internet service, since he was the first one here. It is comcast connected to a cisco modem, which is connected to the apple airport router. Is it possible to view a history log on the router? I work from home and put lots of credit card information through the system and there have been recent credit card thefts with the numbers of my business clients. I tried typing in the IP address that starts with 10.0.1... but the page doesn't load. Any help would be greatly appreciated

OP
H
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have been using my roommates internet service, since he was the first one here. It is comcast connected to a cisco modem, which is connected to the apple airport router. Is it possible to view a history log on the router? I work from home and put lots of credit card information through the system and there have been recent credit card thefts with the numbers of my business clients. I tried typing in the IP address that starts with 10.0.1... but the page doesn't load. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your local log doesn't matter..if you've been using your credit card online, make sure it's with retailers that have secure web servers..i.e., you should be accessing them with HTTPS://, most modern browsers put up a green icon/bar/indication saying that you are secure, only then should you entering personal information on the web..

OP
H
Reaction score
yes i only use the secured https. But i have also had security problems, for example, my email and social media accounts have been hacked multiple times. Also, it has happened a few times now where he has brought up something that I was doing online as if I told him (and i clearly didn't). I am almost quite certain there is a log on the router. Is there anyway to find out?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If your email and social media accounts have been hacked, that's most likely due to a lack of password strength and those online things are being hacked on the server side, not usually through your local Internet connection.

Employ REALLY tough passwords, and if you can't remember them use programs like 1Password or other password managers to generate them for you and then use a single extremely strong password to get into the password manager.

The router logs will usually show a list of IP addresses that you've visited, not much else..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads - please don't crosspost.

To add to Razor's advice, you might want to consider two-step verification for those services that offer it (Google and Facebook do). In essence, it works like this: when you enable two step verification, you can only log in from devices (each browser on your machine counts as a "device") that have been authenticated. When you try to log in the first time, you'll be prompted to enter a secure code. This code will be sent to you in a text message (so you'll need a mobile phone). Enter that secure code and log in from that device. You only have to do this once to authorize the device so don't worry about this being tedious.

With this setup, you'll be more secure because if someone does find your password, they'll be prompted for the secure code which they can't get since it will only be sent to your phone. Now, if someone had your phone they could get it but at least this gives you an extra layer of security.

A nice video explanation is available here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.