How do you make movies ripped with handbrake work on itunes?

Reaction score
I just downloaded handbrake for windows and I burned the movie "IM4". I then found the file and it wasn't any file type. I tried to make it a wmv and it worked on windows media player. But when I tried to make it a mp4 it still didn't work on iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Try changing the .mp4 to .m4v That should have been the format that Handbrake gave you.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
As a rule I would avoid any Windows Media formats (wma, .wmv, etc) if you want cross platform compatibility. Stick to .m4v and you are good.

The default Handbrake settings in both the Windows and Mac versions will produce .m4vs.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you guys. HB seems not stable on my mac mini...:\ When I tried to rip IM4 to .m4v, it crashed like 10 minutes later after the ripping process started. Then i tried to restart the program, but it CANT BE started again, so i reboot my mac. It was recovered but still cant complete the process. Any idea to fix the problem? Im thinking of changing another program right now..:Angry:

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
If the movie is copy protected, the copy protection could be kicking in. As a note - ripping of copyrighted films is not allowed to be discussed here.

Handbrake isnt just a ripper - it encodes while ripping - which is gonna be very intensive on your CPU. You might want to shut down anything else that is CPU intensive while running it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.