• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best HD Camcorders for easy workflow?

Reaction score
I've been using a Canon Vixia HV30 for a few years. It's a good quality camcorder, but I'm making the leap into professional video production and need a more robust camcorder, better quality, tapeless, more options, etc... Another important factor is importing into FCP X. I'm tired of using firewire and the lengthy time to encode footage I import.

I've read that the JVC GY-HM150U has an incredibly easy workflow into FCP since it shoots .mov format. Some people say the quality is substandard with this camcorder though and some people despise HDV. Does anyone have thoughts on this camcorder or the Panasonic AG-HVX200A? My budget is less than $3000 but I've seen the Panasonic on sale for less. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
Bob

Reaction score
I don't know about the JVC but I have worked with the Panasonic and it's awesome! We had two of them on a shoot recently. For the price, the quality and professional product + customization is untouchable. It takes some getting used to and a bit of dedication to learn the optimization but tapeless is beautiful!

I saw it with a discount code for rythercamera online for no tax + free shipping and it was under 3000.

Reaction score
I use JVC GY-HM 100 E (150 is newer version, but the same camera with little more functions added) I must say that a better camera for FCP7 or FCPX is hard to find. This is simply drag and drop. It shoots in native mov. format, so there is no converting. Just drag and drop. I would buy this camera again to morrow if had to.

Reaction score
I am still using a canon 500d - of course it's a photocam, but it shoots perfect hd videos...have you ever thought about theses canon cameras?

Have a great day!!!
Kenaudio

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.