.app game file won't work on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I bought "Mortimer Beckett and the Crimson Thief Premium Edition" from gamehouse.com. My other games that are working fine are .dmg files. This new one arrived as a .dmg. After installation, Get Info says it is Mortimer Beckett and the Crimson Thief Premium Edition.app. Can anyone help me figure out how to use this .app file? Currently, it bounces in the dock for a bit, then disappears.

I'm on MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Version 10.6.8

When I select Get Info over the game's icon, the Kind is Application (Intel).

I also checked the gamehouse website, and this game should work with my version. I tried their customer service, but they didn't seem to understand my dilemma.

I'd really appreciate some help! Thank you!

C

chas_m

.app is the normal extension for applications. You don't normally see the .app extension but all your applications have it.

You say "my other games that are working fine are dmg files." Does that possibly mean you've never properly installed them? You should still have DMG files after moving the actual application into the Applications folder ...

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi Chas_m and thanks for your reply. You'll have to forgive me...I'm a novice at this.

The last working game I purchased was a .dmg file with an icon that looks like a hard drive. When I double-click that hard drive icon, the game opens up. When finished, I click the eject icon. The last game I bought that isn't working also arrived as a .dmg file with a disk icon. When I double-click it, it reads: double-click to install. I click install, and it asks me where to put the file. I select the button which reads: "Install in applications folder." Now, when I return to my Applications folder & click on the icon for the non-working game, it appears in the dock for about 1 second, then shrinks away. I clicked Get Info on a working game, and the game that is not working. I compared the Get Info screens side by side:

The working game:
-Kind: Disk Image
-Application Name: Mortimer Beckett - Lost King.dmg
-Open with: DiskImageMounter

The non-working game:
-Kind: Application (Intel)
-Application Name: Mortimer Beckett and the Crimson Thief Premium Edition.app
-The Open With portion does not appear on Get Info screen

Thanks!

Amy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I went to their web site to try to find the system requirements for the Mac version of this game, however, all I found was information for the Windows version.

Make sure the game will run in Snow Leopard and that your system meets the requirements. It appears the game is installing but then won't run. Without any further information about the game and system requirements, I'm afraid we're not going to be much help.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The last working game I purchased was a .dmg file with an icon that looks like a hard drive. When I double-click that hard drive icon, the game opens up. When finished, I click the eject icon. The last game I bought that isn't working also arrived as a .dmg file with a disk icon.
Disk images (dmg files) are simply containers to distribute content. When you mount (this is the term for what happens when you double click a disk image) an image, you need to take the content there and drag it to somewhere on your computer. If it is an application, you should probably put it in /Applications (Macintosh HD > Applications).

Applications have the .app extension so this is normal. If the game is not launching, there is something wrong with the game. You meet the system requirements (which only state that you need at least OS X 10.5) so you might want to try reinstalling the game as a first step.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.