Onyx causing problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Running OS 10.5.8 and using Onyx 2.0.6

I had used it in the past just for the Verify functions. Following some advice given here to another member, I decided to explore the Automation "suite" (please advise if that's not the right terminology). I'm not sure if some of the unusual things I've noticed since doing that are caused by it or not.

Details
I did not check the following:
Repair Permissions
Rebuild Mail's Envelope Index (don't use Mail)
Clean Recent Items & Web Browser History

Unusual behavior
Spinning beach ball when trying to open a Word document
Warning about using MS applications (Excel, Word) "for the first time" (they had not been updated since their last use)
Finder windows all messed up (icons not where I had placed them)
Desktop messed up too

Any insight into this will be appreciated.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problems persist, and I also see new posts recommending Onyx. I was hoping someone would say, "Yeah, don't check ______ either."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Unusual behavior
Spinning beach ball when trying to open a Word document
Warning about using MS applications (Excel, Word) "for the first time" (they had not been updated since their last use)
Finder windows all messed up (icons not where I had placed them)
Desktop messed up too

Any insight into this will be appreciated.

I have never had any troubles with ONYX...as long as I stick with ONLY the default settings for ONYX (aka...don't check any "unchecked" boxes unless someone knows exactly what they're doing).

All of the unusual behaviors listed sounds like some preference files got deleted or reset...since most of the issues are cosmetic/user setup stuff.

The spinning beachball when MS Word starts up for the first time again sounds like a preference file got deleted. Since whenever each of the MS Office programs is run for the first time...the app does some sort of setup procedure which makes the first launch take longer.

It sounds to me that maybe an "unchecked" box got checked by accident...and maybe ONYX is running a procedure/cleaning activity that is not part of the default setup.

If you're not 100% sure if a box got checked by accident...I would delete the copy of ONYX that you have...then redownload ONYX. This way you will have a "fresh" copy of ONYX with ONLY the default settings selected.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. However, I don't think any of your speculative explanations are at work here. Nothing I've done should have lead to the message about using Word or Excel for the first time. I am 100% sure that I did not check anything that was unchecked. In fact, the opposite is true. I'm not planning to run the Automation tab again anytime soon.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the reply. However, I don't think any of your speculative explanations are at work here.

Just trying to throw some ideas your way.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I can only tell you that I regularly run Onyx on 3 different Macs and I've never had any negative fallout from it's use.

Most of the stuff it runs are OSX features that it just brings together and kicks off.

I'd suggest using a Time Machine backup, if you have one, returning to a point prior to running Onyx.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just trying to throw some ideas your way.:)
I know, and I appreciate it. That's why I said "Thanks".

I can only tell you that I regularly run Onyx on 3 different Macs and I've never had any negative fallout from it's use.

Most of the stuff it runs are OSX features that it just brings together and kicks off.

I'd suggest using a Time Machine backup, if you have one, returning to a point prior to running Onyx.

No, I don't use Time Machine. My backup system is a DIY method with a flash drive. (files only)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.