Installed 10.5.7 to new hard drive; iLife not included?

Reaction score
I just finished doing a couple of hardware upgrades for someone who wanted to put MacOS 10.5.7 on their macbook (I can't remember the exact model but it's not important). We didn't do any direct data migration from the old hard drive or upgrade; this was a vanilla install from a standalone copy of 10.5.7. Everything went fine. However, they're trying to find apps that are a part of the iLife suite and it doesn't appear to them that they were included with the OS install. Is this to be expected? Is there any way they can download iLife for that version of MacOS without having to upgrade to Lion?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, they're trying to find apps that are a part of the iLife suite and it doesn't appear to them that they were included with the OS install. Is this to be expected?

If this installation was via a 10.5.7 OS install DVD...then that is exactly correct...iLife apps are not part of an OS install.

Is there any way they can download iLife for that version of MacOS without having to upgrade to Lion?

Possibly...but you need at last OS 10.6.6 installed on a computer to have access to the Mac App Store (you don't need Lion for the Mac App Store).

Or, if you (or the customer) want the iLife apps...you probably need to purchase an older version of an iLife DVD from Amazon or e-Bay...and make sure you get a version of iLife that is compatible with OS 10.5.7.

- Nick

p.s. FYI...iLife '11 (the lastest version) is NOT compatible with OS 10.5.7. iLife '11 requires at least OS 10.6.3. I believe iLife '09 is the newest version compatible with 10.5.7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.