Mac won't read Windows Installation Disks!!

Reaction score
Model: Macbook Pro (15-inch EARLY 2008)

So I got my laptop reformatted at the apple store. They even upgraded me to Snow Leopard for free and everything seems to be fine. However, I recently tried to boot camp it.. I selected the Boot Camp Assistance program and partitioned the drive. When it came time to start installation, I inserted a Windows 7 disk (that my friend had received burned from someone else and used it perfectly fine to upgrade his windows to windows 7). My laptop would just take the cd… churn a few times and make some noise like it was actually reading it.. and then spit it back out.

I got annoyed and figured this didn’t work.. so I got another friend to download windows 7 and burn it onto a cd for me. I tried this last night and with the same problems.. it’d take the cd.. make it sound like it was reading it a few times.. and then spit it back out. It never showed up on my laptop and I was never able to look through the files. Being annoyed.. I went downstairs and found an actual Windows XP cd. I popped that in and my computer didn’t even bother making any noise to indicate it was reading it and spit it back out almost a second later.

Is it my cd drive that’s f-ed up?? Or are the cds just not “burned correctly”. They could possibly be just windows 7 iso burned onto the cd and not mounted on?? This doesn't explain why the authentic Windows XP cd wouldn't read...

HELP PLEASE. :Grimmace:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For starters, purchase a legit copy of Windows 7 and we'll talk after that..

OP
B
Reaction score
I apologize about the Windows 7.. the first one was burned, but the 2nd one was a copy of my friend's actual windows 7 cd. Besides that... the Windows XP cd that I have is not burned and is an actual Windows XP cd with SP2 on it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does the optical drive accept other media without any issues and is it JUST the Windows CD's that are causing problems? If not, then the optical drive might just be bad and need to be replaced..

OP
B
Reaction score
I was trying to find another disk to pop in.. but didn't have time and just wanted some advice/opinions while I was at work.

Will pop in a CD today to see what's up and update everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.