Installing Classic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Blueberry G3, iMac G4, 1994 Macintosh Performa, Macintosh IIsi, Macintosh SE/30
I have an iMac G4 with OS X 10.4 Tiger installed. It has no Classic installed. I have an OS 9 disc somewhere in the attic, but I have an ISO of it I made a while ago too. I've read about a lot of people having success booting from ISOs burned to CDs. I have tried multiple times, and on my iMac G3 just in case the G4 had a bad drive. Nothing :Shouting: . Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I don't think I've ever booted from an ISO directly with classic. You use the ISO to make a bootable disc IIRC. Then again, it's been a while since I've done this...

C

chas_m

I don't mean to sound like one of those snotty hipsters, but ... Classic? In 2012? What do you need it for exactly?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Blueberry G3, iMac G4, 1994 Macintosh Performa, Macintosh IIsi, Macintosh SE/30
I don't mean to sound like one of those snotty hipsters, but ... Classic? In 2012? What do you need it for exactly?
My Mac is a PowerPC and I can't run Rosetta. I have a lot of older games for it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do not need Rosetta. This was a program to enable Snow Leopard, an Intel only operating system, to run the older PowerPC applications. Just stick with Tiger or Leopard if the iMac G4 specs are over an 867MHz processor speed.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You do not need Rosetta. This was a program to enable Snow Leopard, an Intel only operating system, to run the older PowerPC applications. Just stick with Tiger or Leopard if the iMac G4 specs are over an 867MHz processor speed.

Yeah I know but I have Tiger and I have a 700MHz G4. And I'm talking about running OS9 applications. I need Classic to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Actually, I was thinking you'd need a bootable disc. Since you are just installing it to run in classic mode the ISO might work fine.

You don't need Rosetta, you want Classic Mode on your G4.

Meh, to each their own. I'm actually debating on installing 10.4 on a part ion within VMWare and playing some old Mac games that no longer work on OSX as well as some Classic games. Heck, I wish VMWare supported OS9 and below, I'd install them too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.