Non-responding Word icon ("W") on dock

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Problem 1: When I click on "W" the Word templates do not come up.

Problem 2: When I access a recent document (which I can), I cannot modify it in any way: for instance, clicking on tabs "Home" or "Layout" does not reveal the ribbon of formatting options below.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Can't hep with the Ribbons, but...
Drag that unresponsive icon off your Dock and it will disappear. Now open your Applications folder and drag the Word icon to the Dock to replace the old one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Word Icon still not-responding when clicked on Dock

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried and, unlike other icons I dragged off the dock, it kept going back. I finally chose "quit" from the right-click menu. Did the same with Excel and Powerpoint. Then did what you said: dragged the icons back from the applications folder. Same thing. The PowerPoint and Excel don't open either. The only way is to open doc and open an old file or right click on "W" and choose "Open recent."

Any other ideas?

Much appreciated
MonicaN

Reaction score
I have found this kind of problem is often caused by and errant pref file. Go to /Users/(user name)/Library/Preferences. There is a folder titled Microsoft. Trash it, empty the trash. Then start MS Word. The MS preference folder will be automatically recreated.

OP
M
Reaction score
STILL HAVING PROBLEMS with MICROSOFT OFFICE
Thank you very much Zewazir. I did what you said, then emptied the trash, restarted the computer, and indeed the MS folder recreated automatically. But I still have the problem that by clicking on "W" word won't open. I have to go to an old document and select "new blank document." Also, the ribbon under "Home," "Layout," etc. won't open.

Any other thoughts? I thank you in advance for your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reinstall Office 2011. But first, you'll need to uninstall it. Use the Microsoft instructions for uninstalling, do not drag it to the trash. Follow the directions given at this LINK and then reinstall Office 2011.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.