Should i use an Anti-Virus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I was a scared newbie and asked the same question last year and I go on a lot of questionable websites.
I would get around 3 to 4 viruses a year on my PC even with virus protection but not a single one on my IMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
I know you're just repeating stuff you've been told, so I don't blame you ... but I am so very, very tired of this long-discredited nonsense.

On the first point:
The Mac Malware Myth — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

On the second point: Anyone who knows *anything* about UNIX knows this is pure ... um, malarkey.

Since it evidently bears repeating, here it is again:

1. MALWARE ≠ VIRUS.
2. There are still no viruses on the Mac. None. Zip. Zero. Nada. Nil.
3. The two big malware exploits that have affected the Mac so far were based on FLASH (not made by Apple) and JAVA (not made by Apple). Security problems in Java (which have been very well-documented) was one of the leading reasons Apple opted not to include it by default in Lion, and (again well-documented) security problems in Flash was one of the reasons it was not included in iOS and was discontinued (by Adobe) for the mobile platform entirely.

So now you know. And knowing is half the battle! :)

This is really a great point.... but pls help me understand further with (1.) I know there has been a long debate regarding virus and malware. Just a newbie question from a very satisfied switcher (I can't live without my mac).

Reaction score
I would say go with Sophos. It does a real good job, it doesn't slow down performance of your Mac, and it is free. If you come from a household where both Macs and Windows machines are used, I would say installing an AV is a good courtesy move. It may not attach itself to your Mac, but if you need to send a attachment file to a Windows user, Sophos will tell you if a virus is in the attachment and/or file you will send. I remember getting a file once that had a virus and the Sophos caught it before I sent it to my intended recipient, who by the way uses a Windows based machine. Just my two cents.

May God bless.

Ed

C

chas_m

This is really a great point.... but pls help me understand further with (1.) I know there has been a long debate regarding virus and malware. Just a newbie question from a very satisfied switcher (I can't live without my mac).

Sure thing.

A Virus is a program that is designed to cause irreparable harm (or at least annoyance) to your computer and you (deleting files, erasing the HD, etc). But that's not the worse part of a virus -- the worst part is that it is self-replicating, ie it will use the resources of your computer to send itself to other computers, which magnifies the harm.

The reason OS X is immune to viruses and is likely to stay that was is that applications simply aren't allowed to do this on Macs without the express involvement of the user -- and of course viruses don't want you to know they are even present, so of course they aren't going to ask your permission! Mac OS X *requires* an admin password to make any changes to the system.

Of course viruses are malware, but because the Mac is immune to viruses (and likely to stay that way), all OTHER forms of malware (worms, Trojans, phishing, bots) tend to be referred to as "malware" on the Mac. Macs *can* be vulnerable to Trojans and phishing threats because they try to FOOL the user into giving permission to install something they shouldn't. Once a malicious program has admin access, it still can't do a great deal of harm but it sure can be annoying (things like redirecting your DNS to other sites, for example).

A previous version of Flashback tried to fool people into installing it by masquerading as a Flash upgrade. Of course, any experienced Mac user would spot in a second that the installer wasn't legit, but most users aren't experts and that's how it gained a foothold (likewise with the "MacDefender" Trojan a year or two ago). Luckily, most Mac malware is still comically easy to avoid, even for the technology-challenged, which is why most attacks never get very far.

The most recent version of Flashback gave up on the idea of trying to fool users (since it wasn't working once word got out) and instead utilized a vulnerability in Java (which already has admin privileges) to get into systems WITHOUT the user being involved or aware. THAT was what freaked a lot of people out, though the "threat" was actually fairly minimal and the servers that the Flashback bot would have reported to were shut down. Turns out governments ARE good for something, who knew! :)

Anyway, between Apple's XProtect, keeping software up-to-date from legitimate sources, paying attention to the Mac community (through news sites and forums like this one) and not falling for "scare-ware" as I call it, you're not likely to ever be at much risk. The next version of OS X, for example, is introducing a feature called "sandboxing" (already working on most browsers) that would have stopped this Java Flashback stone cold. Mountain Lion will also (we hope) make it easier for users to have and manage "complex" passwords that are more resistant to brute-force attacks (though we've been pretty safe in that regard so far, it's definitely an area of weakness).

Bottom line: common sense should continue to be your first line of defense. If you really want to run an anti-malware program, well, that's your choice -- but there are several good FREE ones, so at least don't fall for paying for one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
I've also mentioned elsewhere (but not here, apparently) that if you are running Snow Leopard or Lion, you are already running anti-malware software (called XProtect) -- it's baked right into those systems, and updated silently so you won't see anything in Software Update about it.

Maybe because users don't see anything they do not understand its protection.

chas_m yes you have highlighted this on many threads, I feel that for some reason people just don't read posts in full, thus missing important information.
Ive never had an AV and don't intend to in the near future.:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
@chas_m...... you're a god.... many many thanks for the enlightenment. I'll save your post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would say go with Sophos. It does a real good job, it doesn't slow down performance of your Mac, and it is free. If you come from a household where both Macs and Windows machines are used, I would say installing an AV is a good courtesy move. It may not attach itself to your Mac, but if you need to send a attachment file to a Windows user, Sophos will tell you if a virus is in the attachment and/or file you will send. I remember getting a file once that had a virus and the Sophos caught it before I sent it to my intended recipient, who by the way uses a Windows based machine. Just my two cents.

Is Sophos can be installed together with ClamXav? Will it create conflicts?
I'm not going to install any of those anyway but just being curious...

God Bless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
My Toshiba lap top completely quit working right after I bought a 3 year subscription of McAffe for it. I'm trying to get a refund on the remaining subscription. Since it's already paid for would it be worth going ahead and transferring it to my new MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
My Toshiba lap top completely quit working right after I bought a 3 year subscription of McAffe for it. I'm trying to get a refund on the remaining subscription. Since it's already paid for would it be worth going ahead and transferring it to my new MacBook Pro?

Why would you? Unless you are going to run Windows in a partition (or such like) and load it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Why would you? Unless you are going to run Windows in a partition (or such like) and load it there.
Well, seeing as they've paid for the subscription (& failure of their hardware will most likely not be considered a valid reason for getting a refund on working software), if there is an OS X version of McAfee anti-virus, they may as well put it on their MBP, just in case; even if it's not necessary, most AV software these days is well designed enough to not cause a noticeable performance hit...

Reaction score
Is Sophos can be installed together with ClamXav? Will it create conflicts?
I'm not going to install any of those anyway but just being curious...

God Bless

I don't know. I never used ClamXav.

May God bless.

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz I7 4GB mem version 10.10 Yosemite // Ipad3 // iPhone 4S
Well, seeing as they've paid for the subscription (& failure of their hardware will most likely not be considered a valid reason for getting a refund on working software), if there is an OS X version of McAfee anti-virus, they may as well put it on their MBP, just in case; even if it's not necessary, most AV software these days is well designed enough to not cause a noticeable performance hit...

That's kind of what I'm thinking. May be an alternative that both parties can live with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Also, it makes you a good mixed-platform-network citizen; as you can block PC viruses that might otherwise slip-in via your computer without harming it, but then proceed to harm any Windows computers on the same network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. There is no such thing as an anti-virus program that is 100 percent effective.

2. New malware and viruses are being created all the time. An anti-virus can't stop something it's never encountered before.

3. A lot of Windows malware/viruses are disguised so that the owner has very little clue that they have one or that it is doing anything. That's why I laugh at those Windows owners who claim they don't run anti-virus and "have never had problem." THOSE are the people behind the bot-nets, the zombie attacks, the DDoS attacks, etc.
Oh, obviously 1 & 2 will be the case with any AV software; you can only protect against what you know is out to get you.

And I'll admit that was once one of the people spreading a bot. Not for want of trying not to, but the crummy AV software I used got corrupted when a poorly programmed game I installed on my old XP PC caused a crash & I had to do a hot reboot. As soon as I checked the Talk Manager & found the reason why FireFox, MSN Messenger, etc. couldn't connect to the internet was because I had a dozen unkillable Internet Explorer processes running in the background & eating all the bandwidth I shut-down my broadband router and reinstalled Windows, but I'm sure my computer had spread the virus to hundreds of others by then :/

I've actually realised the answer to my own initial question though; there's no profit in providing free virus protection via ISPs when you can charge millions of users individually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just a heads up on AV for a Mac you may want to do a search on these forums and others about conflicts and slowing down they can sometimes cause more trouble than any they might prevent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.