MAC won't start

Reaction score
My 13" 2010 MacBook pro will not start. When starting the apple logo comes up and the whirly, and it just sits. It will start in Hardware Test mode and tests are OK. I reset the PRAM and NVRAM. It will not start in safe mode and it will not boot from the Apple disk in the drive. It will start up in Startup Manager, but just shows the hard drive as the only available option. When selected, it goes back to square one. The hard rive is under warranty, but before replacing it, I would like to have the option to erase it and reinstall a backup to ensure it is a hardware problem and not a software problem. What to do now? I'm out of ideas. Please help!

C

chas_m

Assuming you lack a bootable backup, you'll need to get the machine to boot from your Apple disk or from a retail Snow Leopard disk.

Are there any nearby Apple dealers? Any friends you know who might have a retail disk of Snow Leopard? Failing that, is $30 worth it to you to get a bootable disk so you can do a restore?

OP
S
Reaction score
I have my factory disk that came with the Mac. Holding down C during startup, I can hear the disk drive spin up, but it won't boot up from the disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.