iTUNES - Deleted XML file and Library!!

Reaction score
Hi there!

Yes, I've done the ultimate idiotic thing and lost my XML file and itunes Library, when upgrading my OS.

In short, I have all my tunes backed up in a file on the external HDD (at least I did something right!). iTunes is directed to that but, regardless of this, as you can guess, I have no tunes showing in itunes because there is no xml or library files.

I've tried dragging the music file back over from the exhdd to itunes, without adding the music itself; however, there are still no xml file or library file and things are slow. It does play the music back though!

Can anyone help me recreate these precious and much needed files? Would consolidating my library fix this, without adding actual music files to my main hard-drive? I wouldn't have the space if it did.

I would appreciate any help here!!!

Much thanks,
McDad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Set your itunes library location (in preferences) to where your media is on the external then add the files to iTunes. This will leave the files where they are and re-build the library

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your reply. Could you please answer these queries of mine, also?

I already dragged the files over - they show up there now. Is this all I need to do?

ALSO - I 'un-checked' the 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library' box - was I right in doing that? I suspected that if I didn't, I might be adding the actual music, thus filling up my original hard-drive.

However, do I not need the xml file etc?

Thanks again for your help! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.