Lion only boots in safe mode

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro (2.66 GHz) and have been running Lion on it for quite a while. I got the bright idea (maybe not so bright), since I have a 125G Solid State Drive I would put that drive as my boot disk. It was big enough to hold system and all my applications etc. My main drive was a 2TB and ran with no problems for quite a while. So I....

Formatted the SSD with disk utility.
Installed Snow Leopard on it .... went to the app store and installed Lion. Everything worked fine. I then used Migration program and transferred all my programs and a small in size user that I used for trouble shooting. But after the transfer I rebooted and it would get to the gray screen with apple logo and small spinning gear that kept spinning for longer than normal and then a light-gray circle with a line through it appeared... I left it spinning for hours but nothing ever happened. I then held the shift key down to boot in safe mode and it booted fine. But if I try to choose my 2tb drive as the startup drive it gives me the message ending in "The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk."

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

I then tried booting from my original 2TB drive by holding option key down and now it does the same thing. I can boot in safe mode but never a regular boot.

I've managed to solve many problems, sometimes with the help of a friend, on all my macs (been using apple computers since the first Apple IIe) and managed solving all the problems I needed to solve.... until this one, and it has got me stumped.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk."

How about telling us which boot manager you're using? It sounds like you may have rEFIt or BootChamp installed.

OP
P
Reaction score
Right... efi formatted by Disk Utility. Actually it boots fine after putting a new snow leopard, then Lion, then importing my App Store apps, but as soon as I do a Migration Assistant transfer of Apps (just apps) or Doccuments (just documents), etc... it refuses to boot unless I hold the shift key down to boot in safe mode. I ended up installing everything on a external drive, doing a super-duper copy to the SSD in the mac pro and then doing things step by step trying to get it working... but as soon as I import anything to the SSD from my 2TB HD it breaks the boot process on the next boot... so I re-format it, re-copy it and try again. Thanks for your interest... Phil

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Instead of using Migration Assistant, try using Time Machine to migrate your apps and documents. Let's see if that works.

OP
P
Reaction score
tried backing up with time machine but didn't seem to work. My 2TB has over 1TB data on it and and I have nowhere to back that much data so I excluded all folders but the application folder. Time machine tried and said it was backing up for six hours but after that much time it showed it had only backed up 17K and kept on spinning so I stopped it. What I ended up doing, and am in the process of doing is installing all the applications that use an installer from the original disks and manually copying apps that just needed to be dragged to the app folder. So far, so good. The SSD really does react faster in about all situations and I linked all my user folders to the 2TB drive and that seems to work fine. I've been going slow, one step at a time. After every step I back up my SSD to an external drive with super dupe so I won't have to start from the beginning and can always get back to where I had success. 80-90 per cent done, hope all goes well from here on. I was having trouble with shutdowns never fully shutting down, the screen goes blank but mac light remains on... funny thing when I turned off my bluetooth keyboard, at that exact moment the mac pro power light went out. These are funny things you would never expect but you never complain with success. Thanks for all your help. Phil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.