Does Lion fix....?

Reaction score
Hello, all.

Just a couple of quick concerns.

I have 10.6.8 installed on my MacBook Pro. It has the "constant fan" issue as well as the "blue screen" issue.

I've done all the "fixes" that were recommended.

So, will upgrading to Lion help resolve these issues?

Anyone out there with an answer, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

olds_cool63

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I don't have Lion...
But those issues don't sound like ones that changing OS X version will fix. You need to troubleshoot.

OP
O
Reaction score
I don't have Lion...
But those issues don't sound like ones that changing OS X version will fix. You need to troubleshoot.

I did all of the recommended troubleshooting steps as laid out on support.apple.com as part of a known issue with the OS...

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I ran 10.6.8 on my 2008 MacBook Pro from its release, or shortly thereafter, until Lion was released and never experienced either of these issues. I am not saying that you haven't just that it may not be something specific to the OS itself.

Having done troubleshooting on similar issues before there is usually some culprit that can eventually be pinned down. Care to give us some specifics about machine specs and steps already taken to target the problem?

The first question that occurs to me is does the problem affect all user accounts or just the current one? If you only have one user account try adding a second one and see of the problem affects that account as well.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hey, all.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this...I have a weird schedule.

I'm running 10.6.8 with the 2.2 core duo processor on a MacBook Pro with 4 gigs of ram.

I've had the exact same issue with my Macbook, which I don't use anymore.

Anyway, I've done the following: reset the pram & nvram, done the target disk mode, reinstalled the OS, ran fsck, reset the system management controller, etc. I also run disk utility, iantivirus & sophos every single day. I've tried installing every app one by one. And on and on...

I'll just be surfing or working on the computer and the computer will blue screen and reboot.

Anyway, that's the story.

Any ideas, anyone?

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Two antivirus systems could be the answer to your problem. Uninstall them using the uninstaller and see how things go.

OP
O
Reaction score
Well, I tried removing one, and it blue screened after awhile. Removed the other so there were NO AV programs on my M-Book Pro and still got the blue screen after a while.

Oh, and btw...on my old MacBook...it only has 1 AV program and it does the exact same thing.

Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for the suggestions and anything else you can come up with!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Normally with consistent blue screens like this I suspect some sort of hardware issue such as a failing.badly seated memory cheep. In this case though since it is affecting two different machines then it seems there is more than one cause or it is software related.

What do you usually have open when this happens? Is it always the same programs? If so, which ones?

Also try creating a new user account, run under the same conditions that usually create the problem and see what happens.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is this Blue screen. When I see Blue Screen I think of Windows. Are you sure it's a Blue screen and not a Gray screen telling you to restart your computer in many languages?

If it's that it's probably a hardware issue.

OP
O
Reaction score
What is this Blue screen. When I see Blue Screen I think of Windows. Are you sure it's a Blue screen and not a Gray screen telling you to restart your computer in many languages?

If it's that it's probably a hardware issue.

Hahhhaa! Yeah...that's really funny. Dude...it's BLUE. I can be doing anything at all on the computer, surfing, reading a book, burning a cd...whatever and all of a sudden the screen goes BLUE for about 15-20 seconds, then it comes up to the login screen as if I just booted up. All the apps I had opened are closed.

Let me say this...this NEVER happened until I updated to Snow Leopard. I thought there was a problem with my Macbook, so I bought the Macbook Pro. Just for the record, when I reinstalled the OS for the 3rd time, I didn't install ANY apps at all. All I did was surf using Safari and it still happened. So, I don't think it's an app I've installed...especially since Apple's support pages indicate this is an issue with the OS. Hardware? Not likely since it happens on both computers. Has happened since to me since Snow Leopard came out...just that now it's happening more frequently. Apple itself lists it happening since Leopard, but I never had an issue until Snow Leopard.

There are articles all over the web covering the blue screen issue, even covered by CNET in 2009. And as I mentioned, Apple has support sites detailing how to fix it since installing 10.5.7 and above. Nothings worked and it's just getting out of hand.

Anyway, I've done my share of programming and have had more MACS then most people I know over the last 3 decades. So, I'm not exactly a newbie...just a little background on me.

Not trying to give anyone a hard time here, just trying to get my message across.

Maybe I"ll update to the latest OS and see if that resolves the issue. Just getting frustrated with the whole mess, that's all.

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I can say is I have never once had your issue with Snow Leopard on an iMac C2D late 2007, Mac Mini C2d and Macbook late 2007. If a totally fresh install is doing that with no other apps installed, it must be an hardware issue.

I am aware of others talking about some issue, but there are so many pros here on Mac Forums that depend on their machines and that use Snow Leopard and use it hard, and do not have the issue.

I wish I can help more but I can not duplicate it. I was asking if it was the Kernel Panic screen because that would for sure point to the hardware.

With a new install, did it happen with something other than Safari? Some other app? Trying to nail it down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.