How Can I "Fix" The Spinning Beachball?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
How Can I Kill Onyx?

I had Onyx when I was running Snow Leopard on my MacBookPro. I upgraded to LION and installed Onyx for that OS. Now, quite often I get the Onyx box telling me to "move it to my Applications folder," plus the Onyx icon. I pull them into the trash and that's it but it's happening practically all the time. How can I delete Onyx from my system? Is there an Uninstall program I should use or can I just drag it from the Apps folder to the Trashcan? Thanks very much for your help.

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lately, the "spinning beachball" pops up for apparently no reason at all (when I'm in my Address Book or have just closed a FireFox window, etc.). It stays active for several minutes. Evidently something needs fixing, but I'm a Mac newbie and don't have a clue.

What can I do to prevent this? Thank you very much for your help.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Repairing disk permissions is always a good place to start, but what does your disk free space look like?
You should try to keep at least 15% and performance will begin to degrade rapidly as it drops below 10%

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beachball

I have a 250 GB HD with 210 available.

I had no problems until I downloaded and installed Onyx, and the Onyx install box comes up a lot, telling me to put it in my Applications folder, which I did when I first installed it.

Will it hurt anything to drag the Onyx application to the trashcan and kill it? Then I'll reboot.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I had no problems until I downloaded and installed Onyx, and the Onyx install box comes up a lot, telling me to put it in my Applications folder, which I did when I first installed it.

Any chance you dragged the .dmg of ONYX to the applications folder instead of the application itself? (that's what the error message sounds like)

Do you have a lot of disk images (icons of a hard drive) left mounted on your desktop?
When you're done with an application, do you quit the app and not just close the window?

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have a .dmg; all My applications show are two OnyX files: OnyX.app and OnyX2.4.5.

Reaction score
May be the Onyx was not installed properly. Try to uninstall it. And check if the machine get back to normal.

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should I drag the files to the Trashcan and then clean it out? I think that's the only way I can delete them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Post moved to correct forum. OnyX is not an iOS application.....

Download OnyX again and this time use the uninstall application that comes with the program to remove it. Although I don't know why you wish to uninstall it as OnyX is a very useful application for cleaning and speeding up your Mac.

Download LINK

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Merged threads...both threads Onyx & Mac slow-down related.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.