Buying a new TV soon and want to be able to access movie collection from iMac.

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Not really sure which section to post this question in but here it goes. I have a large collection of movies on my iMac. I use Plex media center to organize them and I love it. I'm going to buy a new TV soon and I want to be able to play these movies on my television without disconnecting my external HD and reconnecting to a TV.
Is there a certain type of Television I should buy for this?
I don't know much about Apple TV, is that what i need?
Would it come with a media center similar to Plex?
Is there a way to stream Plex to a TV?

Basically just want my movies accessible from both my iMac and on a TV, without having to reconnect, with a good looking media manager. Can anyone share their skills? Thanks in advance!

Im running 10.6.8 on my iMac.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
1. Use iTunes on the iMac for the media, just leave it running and share the library. Take the extra time to go though everything and learn the software, it will pay off.
2. Get a TV with at least 1 HDMI port. I recommend at least 3.
3. Get the Apple TV3 and connect it to your TV and then log into iTunes account and connect to the Shared library.
4. Watch/Listen to all your media.

I have been doing this for months and it has worked awesomely. I use a Macmini for itunes and it has been flawless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
If you want to continue using PLEX and don't need an Apple TV device, get a smart TV with DLNA capability. Menu to see available videos/music/pics on your iMac is accessed via the remote.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.