laptop to desktop syncing

R

remf3

About a month ago I made a partial switch over to Mac and got a 12" Powerbook. I work 24 hour shifts and find that having a laptop around makes the night go bye faster when we aren't getting any calls. One of the pilots I work with has the exact same computer as me and has been really helping me out in getting this thing working.

So now I sit here and ponder whether or not I should just ditch my desktop pc for a mac. One of my initial misgivings is the fact that I'm a major gamer. Since all I play right now is World of Warcraft, I'm noticing that Mac is becoming a more vaible choice for me.

What I really want to know, though, is in the absence of a true network, would the two mac's be able to "talk" to each other? I'm a flight nurse and teaching is part of my job. We use powerpoint lectures. I'd like to keep a back up of all of my lectures on my desktop. Can they "sync" with one another?

Just as an aside, I am really happy with the simplicity of the Mac. 10 years ago, I gave my dad grief about his old SE and how much of a monkey computer it was. I really kick myself in the butt over that. After it took me 10 minutes to get my iSight working correctly, I recall the several hours it took to get all the settings right for a webcam for my pc. Heh...with age comes wisdom and less of a desire for complicated crap!

Thanks in advance for any help!

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

If your mac desktop has Wi Fi built in then all you need to do is set it up to share files then on your powerbook you can log onto it and take files out of it. another thing you can do is use your powerbook as a removable HD by pluging it into your mac desktop with firewire then you can drag and drop the files into your powerbook or vise versa. you can also boot your powerbook from your desktop mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You could also get a .Mac account. I use it to keep my iBook and iMac synced and it works great.

OP
R

remf3

schweb said:
You could also get a .Mac account. I use it to keep my iBook and iMac synced and it works great.

I actually just got one of those today. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.