Xbox 360 iMac screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 iMac, 3.5GHz Quad i7, 24GB RAM, GTX 780m, 10.8.5, iPhone6
hey there, i have tried looking around the net and forums for an answer but have found mixed results so i thought i would ask you guys myself and hopefully get a genuin answer. is it possible to use my iMac screen (2011) to run my xbox 360 thro without any noticible lag, ive seen posts where people have said its possible but lags badly, however i have seen videos on youtube where people are playing their xbox via imac screen without issues. is this possible and what would i need to do it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe it's possible on your iMac even with the proper Thunderbolt cable. Your iMac has only one Thunderbolt port = output. The 27" iMac has two Thunderbolt ports = output and input. There is no way to get the video from your XBox in to the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
There are devices which can take a video signal (RGB/Composite/HDMI/etc.) and stream it straight into your iMac via USB 2.0 or FireWire, but they're only meant for using it as a TV (from a cable box, BluRay player, etc.); I think you'd lose too much definition trying to stream Xbox graphics through them...

The I/O is actually fast enough, but the conversion tech just isn't up to it, yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.