DOC and Pages trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook2,1 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, 2gig Mem, OS X Lion, 320 HD
I'm sending my wife text files to her PC. They were written on Pages. In order to send them I exported them to my desktop using Word. On my desktop they indicate .DOC type file. I sent them to my wife but when she tries to open them they are again Pages. I got the file info and it indicates that it is indeed .DOC but it says "open with Pages". It doesn't give a Word option. Please help my entire workload has stalled.

Thanks

M

MacInWin

On your Mac, unless you have Word installed, Get Info will show "Open with Pages." That's normal. What is the problem on the PC? I just tested Pages->Word and it worked fine for me. How does your wife know that the files she receives are Pages?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It says .Pages on the file. This is a mystery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It sounds as if you're exporting a .doc file but then sending her the original .pages file instead.

How are you sending them? If you're using an email application, make sure you drag the correct file into the message.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes that's what it sounds like. I checked every time to make sure I was sending the right file. I'm using the attachment tab in my email on yahoo.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The issue with Pages is that it will not automatically save the file as *.doc. It has to be selected to "save as". And if you're using Lion, it can be confusing because it will say "save a version". Just make sure that you use "save as" and send that version as an attachment not the original.

M

MacInWin

The issue with Pages is that it will not automatically save the file as *.doc. It has to be selected to "save as". And if you're using Lion, it can be confusing because it will say "save a version". Just make sure that you use "save as" and send that version as an attachment not the original.
My copy of Pages doesn't have "save as" but does have "Export" from which you can select the format. That then opens a "Save As" window where you can put in the file name and it appends .doc if you selected Word format. To verify it worked, you can at the window where you assign a name choose to unhide the extension and see the .doc as it is appended. So the OP should send THAT file to his wife.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.