Quick HDD Swap Question...?

Reaction score
I'm just about to swap my hard drive over in my macbook pro. I have done this before, but I cloned the original drive with SuperDuper! and just changed them over. This time I'm looking to put the new drive in and basically just start from scratch.

Is it as simple as just swapping the drives over and powering up? (im guessing no)

Or do I have to format the new drive to MAC OS Extended using disk utility, then swap them over?

apologies for whats potentially a dumbass question :Grimmace:

OP
DoomRider
Reaction score
figured i'd need a boot disc. i'll have to download lion again then make one on a flash drive.

is it worth formatting the new drive at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
figured i'd need a boot disc. i'll have to download lion again then make one on a flash drive.

is it worth formatting the new drive at all?

You'll have to format it if it isn't formatted properly already, and most drives don't come formatted for Macs out of the box.

OP
DoomRider
Reaction score
done.

I was also just wondering if its possible to create a boot disc without having to download lion all over again. Just that i have a really shoddy internet connection and it'll take about 9 hours :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
done.

I was also just wondering if its possible to create a boot disc without having to download lion all over again. Just that i have a really shoddy internet connection and it'll take about 9 hours :(

just a tip, when you download lion you can drop by apple store and request a download, will not take 9 hours, it is US store I am talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Not without an installer. When you re-download it, take steps to make a copy of it inside a read-only DMG file (FreeDMG is one app that can make these). I actually have a USB thumb drive that has a dedicated partition for installing Lion if ever needed in a pinch.

Make a Bootable Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Installer from a USB Flash Drive

OP
DoomRider
Reaction score
righty o.

well ill let lion download... again (grrr) and then ill have a stab at it.
Thanks for all the help man, really appreciate it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.