Migrating MacBook Pro files to an iMac using Time Capsule

Reaction score
Hi,
I have searched for an answer to this, but I can't quite find an answer to my question. My autistic daughter has put a very sharp object through the screen of my MacBook Pro, and it is unsurprisingly dying a painful death (I have now bought her an iPad with an industrial strength case!).

I intend to update my MacBook Pro, but I am aware there may be a big refresh in the near future, so I would like to hold fire on that to see what happens. I have all of my files backed up using Time Machine and a Time Capsule and I have an iMac that is mostly used by the kids for internet, movies, music, etc. All of the most important stuff was on my MacBook Pro.

So, finally, here's the question. Can I make my iMac my 'main' computer by reinstalling OSX and then link it up to the Time Capsule and install all the files from my dying MacBook Pro? Or will I have to bite the bullet and buy a new MacBook Pro and use the migration program to get all of my files back?

Any help/ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Barnaby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
So, finally, here's the question. Can I make my iMac my 'main' computer by reinstalling OSX and then link it up to the Time Capsule and install all the files from my dying MacBook Pro? Or will I have to bite the bullet and buy a new MacBook Pro and use the migration program to get all of my files back?

Yes, you can get all your data on your iMac and pick up where you left off. Just use the Migration Assistant and point it to the Time Capsule. It will can migrate all your user accounts and data, along with applications and other settings.

Alternatively, assuming your MBP is still bootable, connect that to your iMac; boot the MBP in Target Disk Mode; and migrate your users and apps directly off the MBP.

OP
B
Reaction score
That's brilliant. The MacBook still boots up, so I might give that a try first. Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate it.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.