Can someone help me do a clean install of OS X Lion?

Reaction score
I have Lion and Snow Leopard. I just deleted the old hard drive and now I'm installing Snow Leopard. But how do I get a clean install of Lion? Or am I already going in the wrong direction? Thanks for any help. :)

Edit: I have also burned the Lion installer dmg to a DVD if that matters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
MacBoi if you have installed Lion previously and did not burn to a USB Thumb Drive, install SL and update to OSX.6.8. Go into App Store, hold down Option key and hit purchases. Lion icon will come up, double click and it will download again f.o.c. When completed it will be in your Application Folder.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

Prior to running install, follow these directions and burn a copy to a USB thumb drive. To use the thumb drive connect, reboot hold down 'C' or Option and run Installer.

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
Okay. I have tried both ways, with the burned DVD and with a Flash Drive. When I hold C for the DVD it gives me like a stop sign. And I get the same stop sign when I hold Option with the Flash Drive. Then my computer shuts down. Any idea what's going on?

Edit: When I try to boot from the Flash Drive, the option to click is EFI Boot if this helps at all.

Reaction score
Hey MacBoi,
You are going in the right direction. Firstly install Snow Leopard, and then upgrade it to Lion through Apple store. This is the best way to get clean install of Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.