How to get Mac to see that Xcode Tools have installed

Reaction score
Hi, folks. I just installed Xcode Tools on a PPC, on 10.5.8 (Lion).

I did the installation on the command line, in bash. I'm also trying to install MacPorts, but keep getting this error message:

sh-3.2# sudo installer -pkg MacPorts-2.0.4.pkg -target "/"
installer: Error - Xcode is not installed, or was installed with UNIX Development (10.5+) or Command Line Support (10.4) deselected.

But executing "locate Xcode" returns this from the Terminal:

sh-3.2# locate Xcode
/Applications/XCodeToolsPackages/About Xcode Tools.pdf
/Applications/XCodeToolsPackages/Developer/About Xcode Tools.pdf
/Applications/XCodeToolsPackages/Developer/Applications/Interface Builder.app/Contents/Resources/BuildAndGoXcode.scpt

That list goes on for hundreds of lines. Therefore I know it's installed in /Applications.

The question is (of course) how do I get my Mac to SEE that it's installed. Or am I making some kind of error in logic?

I have no idea why installing with UNIX Development (10.5+) would create a problem. I have idea what UNIX Development 10.5+ IS!

Any advice/wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you.

JPS

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you using Leopard (10.5.8) or Lion? It makes a large difference since the version of Xcode that you can install with Lion installs to /Applications but doesn't install the command line tools (you have to do this manually).

Second, any particular reason you're invoking Installer from the command line?

OP
J
Reaction score
Xcode tools

Thanks for the quick reply, Van. I'm on OS 10.5.8. Some Mac sites list the version as Leopard. Some list it as Lion. I guess listing it by version number is safer (in the forums) and more meaningful than listing it by species taxonomy. So to speak.

I'm installing XCode from the command line because I deleted an essential file in the Frameworks folder (and possibly a folder titled 'V') while trying to kill an endless loop of iCal notifications that were freezing the computer (sometimes opening EVERY iCal appointment I'd ever made, one after the other--and NONE of them could be closed via the GUI).

I started learning bash in order to deal with computer problems, but I've made some mistakes that create other problems.

I'd read in one of the forums that I could potentially rebuild the Frameworks folder. Everything below this directory (that's my ultimate objective): /System/Library/Frameworks/

I need compilers in order to rebuild directories (so I 'understand'), and my bash (3.2.17) has no compilers, and a very limited set of commands.

Again, thanks for any advice.

OP
J
Reaction score
Xcode tools

Forgot to mention: The essential file I deleted was one that ran the iCal notifier but also launched Finder. So, now Finder is stuck in an endless loop of being told to launch, but failing to launch. It never makes it to the point of appearing in the GUI, but I can see the little blue dot appear beside it in the side panel, then disappear (I'm trying to stay positive, and think of it as Finder winking at me).

Because I can't launch Finder, I can't do the easy GUI route for installations, extracting disk images and the like (which is forcing me to learn how to install via the command line--the upside of this hairball of problems).

JPS

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm going to guess installer doesn't like that Xcode wasn't installed to /Developer (which is the default directory). Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it to the default directory.

The uninstaller script is normally located at /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools so I'm going to guess that it's at /Applications/XCodeToolsPackages/Library/uninstall-devtools. Run that with the "–mode=all" switch:
Code:
/Applications/XCodeToolsPackages/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, Van, I'll try that. Just to make sure I need to reinstall it (and that the reinstall isn't going to just duplicate my past actions), I'm going to list the commands I issued during the install (starting with mounting the dmg). There's no direction (that I can see or understand) in the command to establish a target directory other than the default directory (therefore I'm thinking that reinstalling WOULD just duplicate the problem; let me know what you think, please).

hdiutil attach xcode313_2736_developerdvd.dmg

When I run that command, an "ls" in Terminal returns a list of directories/files, including "/Volumes/Xcode Tools"

That means the dmg is mounting, by default, to "/Volumes" right?

If it itself is defaulting to the wrong directory, couldn't I just issue a "mv -R" command to move the directory and subdirectories over to "Developer/"?

Here are the final commands I executed:

sh-3.2# cd /Volumes/Xcode\ Tools

sh-3.2# sudo installer -pkg sudo installer -pkg XCode\ Tools.pkg -target "/"

sh-3.2# hdiutil detach /dev/disk2s3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.