PC problems. Are these issues with OSX, too?

Reaction score
As I've mentioned in a couple of threads, I'm a long time (25 years) pc user and programmer, but am very interested in switching over to Mac for a variety of reasons. I'm in the processing of sorting out what all would be involved and if I would run into issues in the switch. I often read how Macs never crash, don't get viruses, and generally never have any issues. That, to me, is a vague generalization and is neither specific nor completely true. I've talked to Mac owners who have confirmed that Macs do have some issues and they do crash on occasion. Here is a list of some of the most annoying (to me) issues with Windows (Windows 7 64-bit in my case). Can anyone tell me if the same types of issues exist in the Mac/OSX world, or if it's "immune" to them?

• When uninstalling a Windows application, the uninstaller is often not perfect and leaves behind a few files and registry entries, to cause a mess. I use Revo Uninstaller on my Windows 7 pc to make sure all related file and registry entries get removed. Does this happen on a Mac? Is there any way to do some type of "cleanup"?
  • I often use some type of sandbox (app or virtual os) to run any questionable or unkown software in. Is there a way to do this on a Mac? e.g. Sandboxie app? Is it necessary.
  • As most are aware, the Windows environment is very high maintenance, particularly with regards to it's registry. I find I'm often having to run registry repair or cleanup utilities, and of course you need to back it up often, so you have it ready to restore when you pc crashes and won't reboot. Since OSX doesn't have a registry as such, is there something else that requires maintenance of some sort with it?
  • Windows is often known to go off on it's own and start thrashing the hard drive for some unknown reason. Who knows whether it is doing indexing or what, but it, of course, always happens when you most need the system to respond. Is this type of thing common in OSX?
  • This one is a HUGE pain in the butt and happens often... you try to a move folder on your pc to a different location, but it often fails and says one of the files in the folder is in use. You check everything, but there is nothing running that would be using the file. You close explorer, stand on your head, and do a few backflips and suddenly it will let you move the file again. My guess is that there is some indexing process behind the scenes that is hanging onto the file. This is really annoying, though. Does OSX have this major flaw?
  • The windows file copy process is really poor. I use a program call Terracopy, which solves a couple of issues. First, it queues up multiple copy/move requests so they don't all try to run concurrently and slow the system to a crawl. Also, it doesn't fail the whole copy request if there is a problem with one of the files. Does OSX (Finder) have the same issues? Is there any way around it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.

In a word, "NO".

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here are a few thoughts that might help answer your questions.

When it comes to uninstalling programs that is not usually much of an issue. Many programs install via drag and drop. To remove these programs you usually just drag them to the trash and empty the trash. The most that usually gets left behind are a few k worth of preference files that don't cause problems. If a program has an installer it usually has an uninstaller to remove the parts. If so, use that. There are also some uninstaller programs for the Mac.

As far as maintainence goes I don't spend much time on that myself. There are some scripts that run automatically and for the most part I let them take care of that. I do run maintenance utilities once in a while if I experience problems. I often go several months without needing to run anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
All computers will get problems such add hard drives, optical drives and memory modules failing. But generally as Gandalph says 'NO". No viruses, only a handful of malware problems that reasonable browser precautions will avoid. You have probably beard about Flash malware. Important to remember user has to knowingly download and install them.

Never install anything you do not know why it downloaded.

M

MacInWin

Uninstall - The only thing that sometimes gets left behind are a few very small pref files, as Slydude said. They don't get referenced, they don't slow you down and they take VERY little disk space. Unless you delete thousands of applications, you won't notice them.

The most prevalent maintenance activity is to check permissions. There is a disk utility that comes with OSX that does that. Takes a few minutes to complete. I run that about every 8 weeks or so, just as insurance.

I'm not a developer, so I can't speak to sandboxing, but you can run virtual machines using either Parallels or VMWare. I don't think you can run Lion virtually in Lion, but I think Lion Server can run Lion virtually. Maybe a developer can wade in here.

The only activity I've seen under OSX are the indexing for Spotlight and TimeMachine. Spotlight needs time on a fresh disk to index the files so it can reference them for you, but that's a one time investment. After that, any new file is indexed as it is created, so you don't see the lag after that initial indexing. (BTW, the most prevalent time to notice this is to attach a new external drive with files on it. Spotlight immediately indexes that drive.) Time machine takes a while on the first backup, but subsequent backups are faster, unless you have made a lot of changes. Overall, OSX doesn't have much going on that impacts your experience with it.

I've had the problem of a file in use once or twice, usually when trying to delete a bunch of files. It leaves behind in the trash the one that was in use, but deletes everything else.

I've never had a copy fail in Finder, so I can't say whether or not a big copy could have a problem. I've never seen one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Wow, I remember the days of having to deal with all that stuff. You just reminded me how low-maintenence OS X is... I never really think about maintenance.

Apple doesn't say that Macs NEVER crash or have problems but there are significantly fewer of them, and none of them are going to ruin your computer. The Registry is one of the biggest drawbacks of Windows and defragging never seemed to do anything but take a long time to finish.

Deleting apps on a Mac usually just involves dragging it to the trash, though if an app comes with an uninstaller, it's best to use that. Little preferences files do get left here and there, but as mentioned, they are totally inert and don't take up much space. But if you want to really keep things clean, you can download App Cleaner, which deletes apps along with all any little files left behind.

In addition to Disk Utility for verifying and repairing permissions, you can download Onyx, which does these things and more, such as clearing caches. It's free, and you should only need it once every few months, depending on how you use your computer.

Others had good tips about sandboxing but everything else on your list, I've never experienced anything like that on a Mac ever!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

In a word, "NO".
OS X certainly shares some of the same issues listed in the post. Scattered files, sandboxing and indexing all occur in OS X at various times.

When uninstalling a Windows application, the uninstaller is often not perfect and leaves behind a few files and registry entries, to cause a mess. I use Revo Uninstaller on my Windows 7 pc to make sure all related file and registry entries get removed. Does this happen on a Mac? Is there any way to do some type of "cleanup"?
There are various applications that do this. Take a look at AppCleaner - it's free and does a decent job.
I often use some type of sandbox (app or virtual os) to run any questionable or unkown software in. Is there a way to do this on a Mac? e.g. Sandboxie app? Is it necessary.
It does have sandboxing built in but requires the user to write scripts. Regardless, the best practice is to avoid this kind of software in the first place.
As most are aware, the Windows environment is very high maintenance, particularly with regards to it's registry. I find I'm often having to run registry repair or cleanup utilities, and of course you need to back it up often, so you have it ready to restore when you pc crashes and won't reboot. Since OSX doesn't have a registry as such, is there something else that requires maintenance of some sort with it?
OS X runs daily, weekly and monthly maintenace but it wouldn't hurt to run OnyX once in a while as well.
Windows is often known to go off on it's own and start thrashing the hard drive for some unknown reason. Who knows whether it is doing indexing or what, but it, of course, always happens when you most need the system to respond. Is this type of thing common in OSX?
The only time I've seen this happening is when the Spotlight database needs to be created. This happens after a clean install and/or after OnyX deletes the database (if you choose to do that). It may also index external drives as well.
This one is a HUGE pain in the butt and happens often... you try to a move folder on your pc to a different location, but it often fails and says one of the files in the folder is in use. You check everything, but there is nothing running that would be using the file. You close explorer, stand on your head, and do a few backflips and suddenly it will let you move the file again. My guess is that there is some indexing process behind the scenes that is hanging onto the file. This is really annoying, though. Does OSX have this major flaw?
Yes, this does happen. It happens across operating systems however.
The windows file copy process is really poor. I use a program call Terracopy, which solves a couple of issues. First, it queues up multiple copy/move requests so they don't all try to run concurrently and slow the system to a crawl. Also, it doesn't fail the whole copy request if there is a problem with one of the files. Does OSX (Finder) have the same issues? Is there any way around it?
Yes, OS X copies files concurrently. There may be a way around this but I don't know of one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
RE: Crashes, I have had around 9-10 totally random kernel panicks with LION in about 4 months, when i was on Snow Leopard I never had one, have run ONYX and done a hardware test and it says everything's ok, but still get crashes.
Got to say really disappointed with Lion. Have had kernel panick with just ical mail and chrome open, running just one tab(BBC). Was thinking of doing a format and reinstall, but will probably wait to see if Mountain Lion cures the issues

M

MacInWin

@bazanders, you might seriously consider reinstalling. I've had Lion since it first came out, use it heavily on two MBP, an iMac and a MacMini with zero kernel panics. Sounds to me like you have something wrong with your installation somewhere.

C

chas_m

I have to agree with MacInWin. My entire career depends on uptime ... if I'm down, I make nothing. Snow Leopard and Lion have been rock-solid for me, and I use my computer easily 10-12 hours a day. Every day.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info. I'm hoping it's fairly stable as that would likely be my top reason for switching. My Windows buddies give me a hard time about how much more it costs, but honestly, if it saves me a few hours a week in not having to re-boot or fight with unexpected problems, it will pay for itself in no time... and I'll be less stressed :)

As for the problem with copying, I may have found a solution. Obviously I can't try it, as I don't yet have my iMac, but the program "Ultracopier" looks somewhat promising.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Macs aren't really that much more expensive than some Windows boxes; similarly spec'd Windows PC's are in the same price range. Plus, your Mac will almost certainly last longer than a typical "cheaper" PC. I've had my Macbook Pro for four years now and it's as fast and stable as the day I got it. I know for a fact that my old XP desktop was VERY slow after that long. So you're getting a computer that holds its value longer, you don't have to buy a new one every couple of years, you don't have to pay for AV software,you're getting a stabler OS and a very well-built machine made by a company that not only makes the OS but the hardware. It all pretty much adds up in favor of a Mac.

So tell THAT to your Windows buddies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes, this does happen. It happens across operating systems however.

At least with Unix OS's (and Unix-like OS's) you can use lsof to EASILY find the culprit, and kill the application... even as a one-liner ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
At least with Unix OS's (and Unix-like OS's) you can use lsof to EASILY find the culprit, and kill the application... even as a one-liner ;)
Ah, the joys of *nix. It would seem that doing the same thing in Windows requires not only additional (not included) tools but more than one as well.

I can't tell you the number of times I've been trying to manage files in Finder, run into an error and drop to the CLI to "make things right." This is why I love OS X - everyday ease of use combined with that Unix power I love.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
As for the problem with copying, I may have found a solution. Obviously I can't try it, as I don't yet have my iMac, but the program "Ultracopier" looks somewhat promising.

Please disregard my comment about Ultracopier. I installed the Windows version to try it out, and it's a piece of junk. It doesn't queue anything, and it takes roughly 1,000 times longer than a standard Windows copy, so it got uninstalled very quickly. It hung my computer twice, in the two hour period I was testing it. Unless the Mac version is a lot better, this is one to stay clear of.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score

That's pretty cool. I wish I could do that with Windows. Another good reason to switch.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
Macs aren't really that much more expensive than some Windows boxes; similarly spec'd Windows PC's are in the same price range.

I don't mean to start a dispute here and no offense whatsoever is entended, as I'm definitely on the Apple "side", but I have trouble believing that statement every time I hear it. I currently have a quad core Intel I7 pc running at 3.0 ghz with 12gb of RAM, dual striped Intel SSD's for system drive, a 7200rpm 2TB data drive, and dual 24" monitors. This machine cost under $2,000 and likely several of the components are higher quality than what goes into the Mac. A similarly spec'ed iMac is well over $4,500 (although the displays are nicer). I have never seen a case at any hardware level that a Mac doesn't cost at least twice what the pc does for same hardware. That said, I wouldn't be buying one for the hardware, and the individual hardware components are likely better matched to the OS. I want it for the OS.

Plus, your Mac will almost certainly last longer than a typical "cheaper" PC. I've had my Macbook Pro for four years now and it's as fast and stable as the day I got it. I know for a fact that my old XP desktop was VERY slow after that long.

I don't believe this statement, either. It depends what you mean by "last longer". The hardware is no better than a pc and will not take longer to break down. They use the same components. Does a pc get slower over a couple of years? Yes, most definitely, but that's not the hardware getting slower. That's issues with Windows, the registry, and whatever else gets screwed up on the pc. If you format the drive and re-install Windows, it will be just as fast as the day you bought it. The reason anyone upgrades their computer is because better hardware comes out, and we want the new, cool, faster stuff. It has absolutely nothing to do with how long the computer "lasts". This is actually a big negative (for me) about the Apple computers. I upgrade my pc every year because I want newer and faster, even though my existing one works fine. That will no longer be an option for me with a Mac, unless I can sell my existing one to buy the new one. They aren't very upgradeable.

So you're getting a computer that holds its value longer ... you don't have to pay for AV software ... you're getting a stabler OS and ... a company that not only makes the OS but the hardware. It all pretty much adds up in favor of a Mac.

Most definitely. I fully agree with these statements.

So tell THAT to your Windows buddies.

My Windows buddies are pretty smart and don't easily buy into hype or bs. It would be a tough sell for them. What sold me was a) I love my iPhone and iPad, and b) I went to the store and spent an hour playing with an iMac and loved it. For some people, I think they need to see it and use it to understand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Agree with just about everything you put in that last post, pretty much sums up how i feel

C

chas_m

I currently have a quad core Intel I7 pc running at 3.0 ghz with 12gb of RAM, dual striped Intel SSD's for system drive, a 7200rpm 2TB data drive, and dual 24" monitors. This machine cost under $2,000

Great! Where do I plug in my Thunderbolt RAID and my Firewire 800 drives?

Also, did that $2,000 include the cost of a very high-quality, IPS, LED-backlit monitor? And a miniDisplayPort for the second monitor?

Because an iMac would have those things for under $2,000 (one 27" monitor instead of two 24" ones, but I suspect the total resolution would be about the same).

See, this is why Oneironnaut took the time and trouble to say "similarly spec'd." I'm not saying your machine isn't awesome or a good value, but call me when you can give me EVERY. SINGLE. FEATURE (apart from OS X, obviously) that the 27" iMac has for "hundreds" less. And it would need to be MANY hundreds less due to loss of style points. :)

Even then I won't be interested, because it can't run OS X, of course, but at least we'll be actually be comparing apples to Apples.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
EVERY. SINGLE. FEATURE

While we're at it, let's not compare the iMac with a generic PC tower built from off-the-shelf parts. That's not what it is. I could say that any miscellaneous laptop is overpriced because I can build a PC tower with better specs for far less, but it's not exactly a fair comparison, is it? Different form factors, different price points and specs.

Instead, let's compare the iMac with other all-in-one desktops on the market. Only then do you start to get a fair comparison.

I have never seen a case at any hardware level that a Mac doesn't cost at least twice what the pc does for same hardware.

Tell that to the various OEMs who have struggled to put out competitors to the MacBook Air at a price point at or below the $999 price tag of the base 11" model. Sure you can find them, but you'll find that they lack the polish of the Air. For a $100 more, you get a far superior machine in just about every way.

Does a pc get slower over a couple of years? Yes, most definitely, but that's not the hardware getting slower. That's issues with Windows, the registry, and whatever else gets screwed up on the pc. If you format the drive and re-install Windows, it will be just as fast as the day you bought it.

First of all, it should not be expected of any user to regularly re-install the operating system on their computers just to keep it running well. That is madness. Second, even if you never upgrade the operating system you use, applications will eventually require more and more power to run well. That alone can make your machine feel slower over time.

The reason anyone upgrades their computer is because better hardware comes out, and we want the new, cool, faster stuff. It has absolutely nothing to do with how long the computer "lasts".

In my experience normal people hold on to their computers for as long as they possibly can. It's only when these PCs suffer catastrophic failures do they look into replacing the machine completely. So, yes, how long it lasts is a very important factor for a lot of people.

This is actually a big negative (for me) about the Apple computers. I upgrade my pc every year because I want newer and faster, even though my existing one works fine. That will no longer be an option for me with a Mac, unless I can sell my existing one to buy the new one. They aren't very upgradeable.

Let's see how much of a negative this turns out to be a year from now when you realize how much money you'll get for your iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.