Extend wireless with time capsule?

Reaction score
I see mixed info posted on whether you can extend a current wireless system with the new time capsule 3TB

I have a linksys router hard wired to my time capsule and can not seem to get it configured. I tried factory reset, my airport utility finds it, go through other set up, pick extend existing wireless, finds my network, I join it then it just hangs there configuring TC, then says 'encountered problem". After this my airport utility does not even see the TC?

Yes I could just pull out the linksys but because it is located in a different area of the house all together I need it there as TC is with computer and other peripherals.

Any thoughts?
Much appreciated.
M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If the time capsule is hard wired to the linksys router which wireless network are you trying to extend?

I don't think you want to be extending the existing as you are already connected the network. I think you just want to be creating a new wireless network, with the TC in bridge mode. If you use the same SSID and password any of your wireless devices will move freely between the Linksys wifi and the TC wifi.

OP
M
Reaction score
okay I tried it this way, the problem now is it has its own wireless and name etc. should this be set as the same as my linksys then? as it shows up on my mac as its own network as well...that is why I was trying to extend it.

any guidance is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Yes, that's my point, you need to use the same SSID (wireless network name) and same wireless network password on bothe the linksys and the TC

and just for info, Apple wifi kit can only extend a wireless network created by another Apple device, but as I say this isn't what you need to be doing anyway.

OP
M
Reaction score
okay that seems to give me the green light....it defaulted to double nat at first then I had to go back in and change it to bridge mode. Now its working.

Lastly my apple tv is plugged into back of time capsule to get internet and access my music from itunes etc...is this the correct configuration?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can connect it to the linksys or the TC, wired or wirelessly. Whichever suits your situation best

OP
M
Reaction score
Its working fine on its own plugged into TC, and I can get it on my iphone remote app, but it is still not showing up in my itunes is that a config thing as it used to be there?
If this works too then you will have made my day!
thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your appletv won't show in iTunes.

But then again it shouldn't. So there's nothing wrong there.

Reaction score
Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks, I was using TC with a separate SSID, once I changed to same SSID as my router, connection was MUCH faster.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.