Installing stuff from the DVDs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
This may sound hilarious to an experienced user, but considering I don't yet have a mac to poke around on, it's tough to help my parents sometimes. How do I install stuff from the DVD's? I need to install X11 for openoffice... and I need to explain it to them over the phone! They aren't exactly computer literate...

Thanks in advance - this forum is great!

:yinyang:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's on the Tiger DVD in Optional Installs.mpkg. I will check my Tiger DVD in a bit to see exactly where that file is and get back to you. It's been a while but I seem to remember launching that file and then it asking what I wanted installed. Just select X11.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
So I have them put their DVD in, click on it when it appears on the desktop, then select Optional Installs?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
static0verdrive said:
So I have them put their DVD in, click on it when it appears on the desktop, then select Optional Installs?

Yes, when the DVD mounts on the Desktop, scroll around and you will find Optional Installs. Click on that and when it launches it will go to the introduction screen, then it will ask for the Root Password, and ask if you agree or disagree, then it will ask what drive, then take you to the Installation Type screen. Expand Applications and check X11. The rest you should have no problems with. Then X11 will be installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But since this is for your parents and they aren't so computer literate - why not just get the to use NeoOffice/J?
It's a Java based version of OpenOffice, is fully OO & MS Office compatible - but with an aqua interface.
It doesn't require X11 at all and looks & feels like the rest of the OS they are already used to.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, SSD, 8GB RAM
NeoOffice/J? Hadn't heard of it, but it sounds like a great idea!

Thanks guys! I will look into both...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.