os x newbie help

Reaction score
hey there

i just purchased a powermac g5...waiting for it to be delivered...but while im waiting i was hoping to read up of main differences between the mac OS and windows...ive been using windows for years and i have also used a number of linux distro's for a couple of years too...is there any websites that i can read to help me understand how os x works, differences from windows etc?

regards

fraser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Search google with this; windows to mac switcher

Reaction score
Hi Mate,

I used windows based computers all my life. I am quite new to mac but i can tell you some differences. First is Unix based so memory management its better. You will be always using most of the memory available in you computer. In windows you could have many gigs in ram but most of the time you never use it whereas Mac's Os use the spare memory in other tasks while you are not using it. Mac Computer's Hardware is preatty standard so you can be sure when you buy software it will work with your computer. No more buying games and getting the "is not compatible with your video card and such". Unix is a Os designed to work on networks so conectivity with other computers is very easy. It can give you a hard time when trying to connect to an exchage server or other microsft technologies, domains and all that stuff but is posible. You will never have to worry about viruses and spyware (I dont know anyone that has ever got one).

Multimedia apps are great and really easy to use.

You will see that every day things are very easy and the operating system and most apps are designed to make your work easier, faster and with better quality.

Hope this gives you a general idea of what you are getting into.

Best regards

Carlos

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.