• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Latest Mac trojan spreads through Microsoft Word documents

Reaction score
Latest Mac trojan spreads through Microsoft Word documents

A new version of a backdoor trojan for Apple's OS X operating system takes advantage of an exploit in Microsoft Word to spread.
mf.gif

a2t.img

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The Word bug in question, CVE-2009-0563, was patched three years ago, by the way, and so was never even present in Office 2011.

If you're still running an unpatched version of Office 2008...well, let me just say that's a pretty sorry state to be in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And be very wary of trojans and so-called viruses "discovered" by AV software companies.

Reaction score
So if you still run never updated out-of-date software from 4-5 years ago, you just might run into an issue?

Ok...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
And be very wary of trojans and so-called viruses "discovered" by AV software companies.

I'm kind of getting sick of these vague implications.

Yes or no, are you implying that these antivirus companies are creating trojans and the like, in blatant violation of Federal law, and somehow concealing the fact from all of their own employees who might turn whistleblower, as well as all the other security researchers, both independent and working for competitors?

Because that would be quite a conspiracy to keep quiet. Even the US and/or Israeli intelligence agencies couldn't keep it quiet when they did it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
being a Macnewbee these virus threats scared me. Did a check and nothing found. I run Mac office 2011 and Everthing is fine. I hate these scare tactics !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No but they are using them in their marketing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
They are nothing but lies. All they want is your money. They are trying to scare the new mac users into getting AV from them and then they never actually do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I guess this is an indication that there now is an adequate volume of OS X users that warrants a dedicated business model -_-
Mind you, that works both ways ....

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Want an easy fix? It's called iWorks. So easy, a parent can use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Then you lose "save as"

I'll risk it thanks

Um, no you don't. The first time you save a document, you have that option. Anytime there after, you have the option to save a "duplicate". The duplicate behaves exactly the same as what you've been used to. The current iteration simply helps save without having to intervene. You just have to learn what the differences are.

No biggie.

Doug

Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 5.31.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 5.32.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 5.36.00 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.