Now that liquid has damaged the logic board

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4 GHZ, 320GB int 2TB ext. iPad 1st Gen, iPod 2nd & 4th gen
The bottle was on a separate table when it tipped over, and unfortunately enough liquid made it to the Macbook Pro to shut it down permanently. Brought my 2011 13" Macbook Pro to the Apple store and received a $755 price tag to completely repair anything that the liquid touched. I am already considering the purchase of a new MBP which of course is one option. Another is to purchase a logic board and install it, but I am thinking repair today.

Has anyone used a repair service such as DT&T Service? If so how happy were you with the results?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've never heard of that particular repair service. However, we have had several folks who have experienced liquid damage and had their machines repaired at other than an authorized Apple service dealer or Apple store. Even though the initial cost may be less at first, in the long run other problems will develop and costs will begin to build up.

My advice is to sell your liquid damaged machine on eBay and get what you can from it. Use the funds from the eBay sale to purchase a new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
I've never heard of that particular repair service. However, we have had several folks who have experienced liquid damage and had their machines repaired at other than an authorized Apple service dealer or Apple store. Even though the initial cost may be less at first, in the long run other problems will develop and costs will begin to build up.

My advice is to sell your liquid damaged machine on eBay and get what you can from it. Use the funds from the eBay sale to purchase a new machine.

I would pretty much agree with this. you will probably get more than you think for your water damaged MBP theres a lot of parts in there that are probably still ok.

OP
nylyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I decided against the repair service, and purchased a new logic board. Up and running once again. I want to add my original serial number to the board, does anyone have the serializer program that will work on the early 2011 MBP? The one that I found on the net doesn't work for me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I decided against the repair service, and purchased a new logic board. Up and running once again. I want to add my original serial number to the board, does anyone have the serializer program that will work on the early 2011 MBP? The one that I found on the net doesn't work for me.

Why would you want to be able to put your old logic boards serial number on the replacement logic board?? I know why...I'm only asking rhetorically.

Let's just say that if you're doing it for the reason I think that you're doing it...we don't support that sort of thing at Mac-Forums.

If I'm wrong...my apologies.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Why would you want to be able to put your old logic boards serial number on the replacement logic board?? I know why...I'm only asking rhetorically.

Let's just say that if you're doing it for the reason I think that you're doing it...we don't support that sort of thing at Mac-Forums.

If I'm wrong...my apologies.

- Nick

It's so the board matches what the external case says. I believe only Apple can do it though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's so the board matches what the external case says. I believe only Apple can do it though.

Yes this is what I was implying. If Apple or an Apple authorized repair facility did the logic board replacement...great. But when an individual user does the repair...I was thinking of potential warranty claim issues (if warranty remains on the computer)...or if some sort of extended special repair program was to occur in the future.

- Nick

OP
nylyon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I wanted to do is put my MacBook back to the way that is was before the accident. I do respect that the software shouldn't be distributed, but I have no intent to do anything wrong or illegal (that I know of anyway).

While I realize that it operated fine without the serial number in the board, I just want it back to the way it was when I bought it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Stretch is correct, that has come up before. When Apple replaces a logic board they use a special program to "burn" the new SN into the firmware.

While I realize that it operated fine without the serial number in the board, I just want it back to the way it was when I bought it.

Perfectly understandable. What I suggest is to ask your local Apple store genius to do it for you. I'm fairly certain they would do it as a service. Anyway, it won't hurt to ask.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand what Apple would do if THEY replaced the logic board...the issue here is...it sounds like the OP did the logic board replacement. Thus this was not an Apple performed repair.

Burning the computers serial number onto the replacement logic board doesn't sound appropriate to me. Remember...this computer's old logic board was damaged due to a liquid spill.

If the new logic board had the old logic board's/computers serial number burned onto it...then this computer could/would look like it never had any liquid damage...and that wouldn't be quite right.

Since this logic board wasn't replaced/installed by Apple...how do we know that it was done correctly...and that some sort of additional water damage doesn't still exist. And/or...if this replacement logic board was WASN'T replaced by Apple...then any remaining warranty (if there is any) would certainly be voided (it is a 2011 13" MBP).

AND...as I already mentioned...if for some reason this computer model was to have some sort of special repair program (like has happened with other models in this past)...this new logic board shouldn't "appear" to be the original one by having the old logic boards/computers serial number burned onto it.

This in some ways would be like modifying the VIN number on a used car...or selling a used car that was flood-damaged...but with no "paper-trail".

If the computer is now working...I think that the OP should just be happy that it is working...and leave it at that.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All good points Nick! Probably best to leave well enough alone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.