Not too pleased with new iMac

J

JunMacTech

Hey all,
Recently our campus has made a big push towards Macintosh. Everything has been going fine until the new updated iMacs with iSight. I seem to have issues with each one out of the box. 3 have been RMA'd due to the fact that they could not boot from cd.

The problem that I am having now is most annoying. When I first pulled this 17" iMac out of the box, it would not boot. It would freeze at the grey screen before the Apple logo appears and then the fans would run full tilt. I tried booting from dvd, after about 20 mins it would finially boot to the drive. When I would boot holding option, no drives would appear in open firmware. I booted to cd once more and opened disk utility. No HDD. I decided that I would finially have to call Apple. I restarted the computer and WHAM! It just started working for some reason. I ran all available updates and performed a permissions repair. This is what it came up with:

Repairing permissions for Macintosh HD
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/Dictionary. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTracker.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Stickies.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877
We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New gid is 0
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New permissions are 33261
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4. New permissions are 33060
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk. New permissions are 33060

Permissions repair complete
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

No matter how many times I run repair permissions I get all of these. I have zapped everything, I have run apple hardware tests - clean, verified startup disk - clean. Occasionally I have the spinning colorwheel of death, when I cmd-opt-esc it shows me that the finder is not responding.

So here is my main question. Do I waste my time trying to reinstall the operating system, in hopes that it will fix it, or do I call apple and get support? Either way I am a bit aggrovated that we have had so many problems out-of-box. It seems to only be the new iMacs also.

Anyone else having problems with them?

Thanks,
Matt

Reaction score
It is just telling you things are repaired or updated I see nothing in red font. What your seeing is a good thing So I'm told , I thought that way till talking with Apple

OP
J

JunMacTech

iNAP said:
It is just telling you things are repaired or updated I see nothing in red font. What your seeing is a good thing So I'm told , I thought that way till talking with Apple

But why would it need fixed over and over and over and over again. I get that same report EVERY time I do a permissions repair. Even if I do one right after another.

Reaction score
Looking back at your list it looks to me as though you have duplicate widgets I'm not sure but it looks like that

Reaction score
I think once repaired it just stays that way because your OS is separate from updates or repairs.....

OP
J

JunMacTech

iNAP said:
I think once repaired it just stays that way because your OS is separate from updates or repairs.....

K, Ill take your word for it. :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
Those special permissions reports are normal. It just means they are not standard and your system is telling you what they are. Nothing is wrong with the report you posted at all as far as i can tell.

OP
J

JunMacTech

Acill said:
Those special permissions reports are normal. It just means they are not standard and your system is telling you what they are. Nothing is wrong with the report you posted at all as far as i can tell.

Ok, Now it won't boot again. It freezes at the Grey Apple Screen and the fans run full blast. Is it time to call apple, or is this a common problem that there has been a solution for?

Thanks,
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I'd call Apple... could be a hardware issue- I know they released a batch with some flaky capacitors on the logic board a while back.

OP
J

JunMacTech

sevenhelmet said:
I'd call Apple... could be a hardware issue- I know they released a batch with some flaky capacitors on the logic board a while back.

Ok, this makes me a little nervous. The first two iSight iMacs that we have ordered have had to go back. I have another batch of 9 that just came in. Ill have to open each one up just to see if they work. Well I guess at least Apple is giving me Overtime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
If you have any more troubles, I'd strongly suggest calling Apple. It is a rare thing for even one of their computers to be DOA, let alone TWO of them!

OP
J

JunMacTech

Well, ran another Disk Verify, came up with illegal name. Did a repair, it is running for now. I'm going to give it a few more days while I check these others.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Matt

OP
L

lil

When you boot the Macs, hold down command + s to enter single user mode.

then from the prompt run:

fsck -fy

That does a more rigorous check than Disk Utility can - keep running it until the errors are cleared. You can then boot into the GUI with 'exit' (minus the quotes) and enter at the prompt.

Vicky

OP
J

JunMacTech

lil said:
When you boot the Macs, hold down command + s to enter single user mode.

then from the prompt run:

fsck -fy

That does a more rigorous check than Disk Utility can - keep running it until the errors are cleared. You can then boot into the GUI with 'exit' (minus the quotes) and enter at the prompt.

Vicky

Ya know, I tried to boot to single user mode. It went into darwin, showed me everything it was doing to boot, then went into the normal login. I couldnt get a prompt to save my life. On a good note, I just went through 5 of the 9 new ones and they are all working as expected: beautifully.

OP
J

JunMacTech

Ok just got another that wont boot. It's a 20" iMac. Tried booting to single user.
It locked up with the fans on full tilt after:

BSD root: disk0s3, major 14, minor 2
AppleSMU -- shutdown cause = 3
AppleSMU::pMU vers = 0x000d0092, SPU vers = 0x56, SDB vers = 0x01,
CSRHIDTransitionDriver::stop
[HCIController][start]
[AppleUSBHCIController][StopIsochPipeRead] - mInt1IsochInPipe = 0 - numReadsPending = 0
[start] 1
disk0s3: I/O error.

And that's it, wont get past that
That one is going in the "Toked Pile"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.