Macbook Pro 13 in US spec for use in UK

Reaction score
Hi

I'm brand new to the forum. I'm looking to buy a 13in Macbook Pro and have the chance to purchase one from the US military PX at a substantial saving from UK prices. I intend to use the notebook in the UK. Are there any potential difficulties I should know about before I buy? Thank you.

DB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You'll have to change the language from US English to UK English. Also the layout of the US keyboard is slightly different from the UK layout but it won't really matter. You can always compensate. Perhaps one of our UK members can give you a better run down but I believe I covered most.

C

chas_m

As a former UK resident, I think all you'll need to do is change the language/dictionary to UK. You can get used to the four key being a $ instead of £, right? :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick replies. It is reassuring that it will be ok in the UK. I can live with the dollar symbol at 4. Hopefully I shall get out to the PX in the next few days. Regards

DB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Something I just thought of, what about A/C power? The electrical system is standard across the U.S. I don't know anything about U.K. or European electrical systems. Should this be something this person should keep in mind?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
AliOop has a good point - you'll need to account for outlet differences. Make sure to ask for the proper adapters when you purchase the notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
In addition to the other points raised, you may need to change the country settings on the WiFi to get it to connect; but, even if so, that'll be easy enough :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One thing to note is the use of DVD regions (see here). In essence, DVD videos are set to work only in particular regions - this was done so distributors could control global releases. You can change the region on your machine but can do so only 5 times. And, as you've probably guessed, the US and the UK are in different regions (1 and 2 respectively). This is only an issue if you play DVDs and intend to purchase DVDs in the UK while still watching your American produced ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
I came across that very same problem when my son was deployed to Iraq. He purchased some DVDs at the base PX. I had to do some hoop jumping to view them here in the US. Doesn't that just chap you? It does me. Why should it matter where one purchases a DVD? Why can't we just ... Never mind. It is what it is. We just have to deal with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.