Is there any app for photo organization that allows me to add tags for different phot

Reaction score
So, my problem is very simple. I like organizing my things by tagging them. I like photos. I have a lot of photos that I took in 2 different external drivers. I can't combine those two. I can't put all of my pictures in my laptop. I want to organize those pictures. I want to put an driver in my usb and the app/software just organizes the pictures from that driver, than, when I plug in another driver, I want the pictures from the last driver out and the pictures from the connected driver in. Any suggestions? It can be for windows also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
External driver? Or drive?

Why not use iPhoto? You can create separate iPhoto libraries for each drive. You can't directly tag a photo, but you can create albums, which are separate from events. Basically… a photo normally resides in only one event. So let's say you had a birthday party in 2010 and imported all the photos into iPhoto. By default, they get assigned to an "event" using the date taken but you can rename the event to Birthday 2010 for example. But separate from events are albums to which you can selectively add photos to from different events. So let's say you have an album named Family. Put the birthday photos that feature family members from the 2010 event, and they are now effectively tagged as "family". Do the same for other photo events featuring family members. Re-add any photo to another album for specific people if you please. Adding photos to an album effectively "tags" them. If you remove a photo from an album, it is effectively "untagged", but it will remain in the event it originated in. Confused? Understandable. I really don't think iPhoto is very intuitive and it took me some time to figure out this much. But I think it'll do the job you need once it clicks.

C

chas_m

iPhoto's keywords ability can give you all sorts of sorting and organizing ability beyond the VERY EXTENSIVE abilities it already has. You'd be VERY surprised at what you can do in iPhoto with smart albums.

For example, let's say I have a huge pile of photos taken over many years with different digital cameras (as I think most people would).

How do I find, let's say, the ones I took with my old Nikon D70, with the flash on, between 2007 and 2009, in London? It would take me about 10 seconds to make a Smart Album with that criteria. And that's completely without keywords, just EXIF data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
iPhoto's keywords ability can give you all sorts of sorting and organizing ability beyond the VERY EXTENSIVE abilities it already has. You'd be VERY surprised at what you can do in iPhoto with smart albums.

How exactly do you add/use keywords? I was trying to figure out how to add tags/keywords yesterday, and while I do see an option to show them and even edit them, I don't see any way to actually apply one or more to a photo. /confused

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.