Airport Express USB Hard Drive Issues

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered. Here is the issue:

Current Setup

Main wireless router: Cisco WRT310N version 2

I have been successfully using my Airport Express for months now. I recently purchased an external USB hard drive (has its own power source via wall plug in) and would like to be able to access the hard drive via the wireless network.

I plugged in the hard drive into the USB slot on the Airport Express. I opened up my macbook, went to Airport Utility and I cant seem to find the "Disk" option tab. All the other tabs show up (Airport, Internet, Printer, etc). My airport express was setup to join my existing network. Im thinking I may need to bridge the connection between the Airport Express and my Cisco WRT310nv2 router. Am I on the correct path? If so, how do I do that? :Confused:

Thanks everyone!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not attach a hard drive to an Airport Express unit. You would need the Airport Extreme to do that. Your AE can accommodate a printer but not a hard drive. See this Apple store LINK regarding the AE.

Also read up on the Airport Extreme to see the difference. LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.