m4a or acc to mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PowerbookG417

i ripped a set off of a cd onto my PEECEE using the new itunes and to notice its now an M4A or a AAC file and my mp3 just doesnt seem to like that format, now i havent looked out there for a converter cause there are probably millions and some that are junk and some that work real well but does anyone know of a good mp3 converter / acc converter. i usually use my peecee to upload my songs to my mp3 player but in an effort to get away from bill gates lock hold i wanna switch everything over to my mac.

i need a good converter tho becuase im using a older mp3 player i only have 64mb so i convert my files down to 64kb so i can put more on it. anyone know of a converter that will solve all of my needs ?

currently for the peecee im using DBpoweramp music converter, real handy app that allows you to right click on the file and convert in one click, but they dont offer their software for mac or a acc/m4a codec ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
When you rip it using iTunes you just specify within iTunes what format you want to rip it in...

OP
S

silentraven

well to go even further...you can change the ripping method to MP3...then go to all your AAC/M4A files and highlight them, right click and tehre should be an option that says CONVERT TO MP3...and it'll make a copy of it to the same folder

OP
N

non mac user

silentraven said:
well to go even further...you can change the ripping method to MP3...then go to all your AAC/M4A files and highlight them, right click and tehre should be an option that says CONVERT TO MP3...and it'll make a copy of it to the same folder

ok here is my deal... i just got a cd player and it has mp3 playback... and i have iTunes and want to burn a mp3 disc and have all acc files how do i swich them to mp3?? and i dont know a whole lot about computers

OP
K

kweenelmer

i am having a similar problem. i did what you said here. but it oonly allows me to convert aac to aac. whats that about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Go into iTunes, into the Preferences there should be an importing tab or something like that.. and then specify what format you would like to import as.. this will be your default import format from now on, until you go back in and change it. While you are at it, you might want to just go through the entire preferences so that you can see what is available to you.

Cheers!

OP
J

Johnny Venom

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I'm having the same problem. I just got an MP3 player that I thought came with its own software (turns out it came with MusicMatch that is no longer available for mac) I tried converting my iTunes library to mp3 the way you said. It did a whole bunch of processing but when I look on my hard drive, my iTunes folder is still full of .m4a files and the converted .mp3's are nowhere in sight. Now that I know how iTunes works it is easy enough to import audio cd's to .mp3's with the import preferences set to mp3, but I still can't figure out how to get my existing library over to .mp3 to get it onto my mp3 player.

OP
C

captaindigital

ACC to MP3

Here's a relatively low-tech solution...simply rip your ACC files to an audio CD. Then re-rip the audio CD as MP3 files. This breaks the copy-protection scheme that ACC uses. This solution is not as elegant as an ACC to MP3 converter, but it will work.

OP
C

CHRISTELLE78

i ripped a set off of a cd onto my PEECEE using the new itunes and to notice its now an M4A or a AAC file and my mp3 just doesnt seem to like that format. then I tried to highlights all my songs M4a and by pushing on the right mouse button, select convert to MP3 but it simply does not work as my file is M4a protected!! How to make it unprotected??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
If you ripped it from your own CD's, it shouldn't be protected like the iTunes Music Store downloads. I honestly don't understand your situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
captaindigital said:
Here's a relatively low-tech solution...simply rip your ACC files to an audio CD. Then re-rip the audio CD as MP3 files. This breaks the copy-protection scheme that ACC uses. This solution is not as elegant as an ACC to MP3 converter, but it will work.
About that....if you burn a bunch of AAC files in audio CD format (so they become expanded but with no increase in sound quality), and then import them from the CD in MP3 format, do they become re-compressed? Is there a further decrease in sound quality because more information gets thrown away, or does all the useless stuff that was added when it was added get thrown away but nothing else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There is a loss of quality upon reimporting but the loss is not noticeable to untrained ears and you will not hear it unless you are listening on a high quality set of headphones or stereo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I use mAC3dec, converts many audio formats, or sound converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.