Connecting the iPad 2 to a printer

Reaction score
Hi there!
I've recently bought an iPad and i am loving it because of its fluid & smooth performance and amazing graphics.
I also happen to have a Windows 7 laptop and i use it to print documents to my Canon printer.
My questions are:
1. What 1st-party or 3rd-party software (free or otherwise) i can use in making documents on my iPad 2?
2. Is there a way to "connect" my iPad 2 to my printer?
* my printer is not Airplay-compatible and uses a standard USB cable. is there an adaptor i can use to use with my iPad to connect to my printer?
Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
C

chas_m

The term is AirPrint and no.

As Sylv suggested, all you need to do is either:

a. If it's not a network-compatible printer, connect the printer to a Mac, turn on printer sharing, install Printopia (or something like it). As long as the Mac and printer are on, the printer will "show up" as being available to print on the iPad.

b. If it IS a wi-fi capable printer, the printer manufacturer VERY LIKELY has a free app from the App Store that will let you print directly to the printer wirelessly. There's also a program called Air Sharing HD that should work as well, though I haven't needed it (my printing needs from the iPad are low and I use Printopia on a connected Mac).

OP
G
Reaction score
It's not a network-enabled or Airprint-compatible printer. and i don't have a Mac either. :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.