ATV stops when mac sleeps

Reaction score
I have just bought an Apple TV 3.

When I watch movies through iTunes the ATV stops/freezes when my mac goes to sleep! Why can't it keep streaming? Alternatively I have to keep my macbook "alive" by touching it during the movie. It's a little bit frustrating. How do I solve this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I have just bought an Apple TV 3.

When I watch movies through iTunes the ATV stops/freezes when my mac goes to sleep! Why can't it keep streaming? Alternatively I have to keep my macbook "alive" by touching it during the movie. It's a little bit frustrating. How do I solve this?

Set your sleep time out a little further than what it is set to currently. You can't stream anything from a sleeping Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not only a Mac - you can't stream or do anythng else from "any" computer that is asleep.

If you're often streaming from your computer, set the hard drive sleep to never and just have the screen go to sleep after your allotted time.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok I will do :)

I just thought when Apple TV was sharing with my mac it wouldn't stop the movie. Like when playing music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.8 500gb 4gb Imac 21.5" 3.06 500gb 4gb
You could also try an app called caffeine. Keeps your Mac awake. Easily switched on and off from the top right bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.