System Roots Certificates Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hi
I know this has been asked in the past, but I can't find a "Cast In Stone" answer here or in other places:
In My Keychain, I have a lot of certificates. Some are for places I never went to (examples: Go Daddy, Taiwan Post, American Online, Equifax Global Business), some are expired & some are marked as not being trusted.

Is it safe to ignore these? If not, should I delete them? (Which leads to the question"How?")

I would not mind if I had to re-build the whole thing form scratch, just as if this was a brand new blank hard disk with a clean OS install. Is is possible to delete the whole list? How is that done?

Thanks for the advice! It is appreciated.
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Do not delete the system roots keychain entries. They are global signers that are used by secure sites that have paid to have a trusted authority sign their certificate. When ever you are on a secure site and are not prompted with a warning it is because the certificate used by the site was signed by a global signer and therefore verified by your browser.

If you want to delete the Login keychain entries have at it. Anything in Login would have been put there by you.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Thank You MacsWork
I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Now the whole certificates in the keychain thing makes sense (I think).
If I understand correctly- If the certificate says, for instance, Taiwan Post, it isn't necessary me having a certificate for Taiwan Post's web site; rather a company with a scure site I go to, such as a bank, paid Taiwan Post to issue a certificate for their (the bank's) secure site.
Did I get it right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Being that you are from Detroit I doubt your bank is using a Taiwan Post signed certificate but yes,...you get the idea.

A Taiwanese bank or business may use them. Since we're global now there is a need to recognize global signers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.