Adding RAM?

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently converted to Mac from Windows. A friend purchased a macbook via his company (VAT free) and bought me and extra 4GB of RAM. When I opened the rear of the macbook, I noticed I had 2x 2GB RAM chips and therefore could not add te 1x 4GB chip that I had bought extra.

My question is, if I buy another 4GB RAM chip, is it as simple as turning off the Macbook, removing 2x 2GB RAM chips and replacing with 2x 4GB RAM chips. Then turning the Macbook back on?

Also, will I notice the benefits of adding an extra $GB of RAM or am I better of just selling the 1x 4GB RAM chip I bought as extra?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Assuming that you have already checked the compatibility of the 4GB RAM, you should be able to take out one of the original 2GB chip and replace it with the new 4GB one. Giving you 6GB total. Although it's recommended that you have both slots with the same amount, the 2+4=6GB should work fine. If it doesn't work you can always go back to the original 2+2=4GB setup or get another 4GB for a 4+4=8GB.

OP
M
Reaction score
cheers

Thanks for that.

Will it make a noticeable difference with 8gb ram compared to 4gb?

is it just a case of plug and play?

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Thanks for that.

Will it make a noticeable difference with 8gb ram compared to 4gb?

is it just a case of plug and play?

Paul

I used to run Vitual Machine Parallel on my MBP. Having 8GB helps a lot on both the Mac and Windows side. Or if you are doing heavy video editing. But for normal usage, it's not a significant noticeable difference. RAMs are so cheap now it's nice to have if you can get it. Don't know what model you have but I think the Mac notebooks usually give you a 'beep' problem code if there is a problem with installed hardware like RAM. If you startup normally with no 'beep' then you are good to go. So yes, plug and play.

Get a SSD. It speed up just about everything. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.